Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need a high shank walking foot >

Need a high shank walking foot

Need a high shank walking foot

Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Need a high shank walking foot

I need a high shank walking foot and there seem to be many available. However, most of the ones I've seen online say straight stitch machine, nothing or mention a certain machine. This is for my Elgin 2468 (same as a White 2468) which is a zig-zag machine. Obviously, no one mentions they have one for an Elgin sewing machine.

How do you tell which is most compatible without doing trial and error back and forth through the mail?

bkay
Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM

Do what I did. But a Davis Vertical Feed, clean the 100+ year old machine, and it never breaks. Unlike the modern plastic stuff.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jpwest View Post
Do what I did. But a Davis Vertical Feed, clean the 100+ year old machine, and it never breaks. Unlike the modern plastic stuff.
Given I'm working with 5th graders learning to quilt, maybe a 100 year old sewing machine is not appropriate for the application.

Do you have a suggestion that will help me now, today, to solve the right now problem? One of my "modern plastic stuff" machines with a walking foot just died, and I need to get another one going. I don't have a lot of machines that are not in cabinets. One happens to be the high shank, Elgin 2468, a mid century all metal Japanese zig-zag machine. It seems to be a very high quality machine.

I don't have time to try three different foots and return them. The kids are supposed to donate their wheel chair quilts by Christmas. I need a solution now.

Can you answer my question?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 12-05-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 PM

I would look online at the "sewing parts online" site, then make a phone call to them. Sew Classic is also good about answering questions, and if anyone would know, she would. I've never sewn on an Elgin. My high shank machines are Kenmore. A good point about the Kenmores is that some of them have a presser foot that can be raised just a bit higher than you would think. Have you tried putting the samples of fabric and batting together and stitching without a walking foot?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Have you tried putting the samples of fabric and batting together and stitching without a walking foot?
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll give the "no walking foot" suggestion a try today. I have several dummy pieces made up already.

I didn't think Sew-classic had a phone number, but I found it. I'll call them as soon as they open.

Sewingpartsonline has one, but about 1/2 of the reviews say that the foot didn't fit and they had to return it. I'll call them this AM, too.

Amazon has several listed, but none that specifically say, high shank and zig zag, although they have several that say, high shank and straight stitch, or say high shank and "name brand". That's why I was asking for help.

Thanks,

bkay
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Thanks again. I just picked one and ordered it from Amazon. It will be here Friday. Sewingpartsonline was out of stock for anything less that $59.95 (didn't want to spend that much) and Sew-classic didn't answer their phone.

bkay
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Hope it works for you.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Sew Classic called me back. I ordered one from her, too. Hopefully, one will fit.

bkay