Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need a little help with Singer treadle regarding 'flap' under machine >

Need a little help with Singer treadle regarding 'flap' under machine

Need a little help with Singer treadle regarding 'flap' under machine

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 AM

Default Need a little help with Singer treadle regarding 'flap' under machine

Hi everyone,

So it finally happened! I found and bought a Singer treadle machine. My machine is a 15k88, according to my own research and the original booklet that's with it, from 1950. It came in a used, but still very much functional treadle cabinet.

The machine can be put in the cabinet by lowering it. When you do so, there is a 'flap' of some sort underneath the machine. On one side of this flap there is a chain (see the picture). Right now this flap rests on the metal of the treadle, which I am pretty sure is not supposed to happen. But I can't find anywhere to attach the chain to, to keep this flap up and away from the treadle. Also, I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a chain on the other side as well. If there's supposed to be one, that one is missing.

Right now, I'm thinkin this flap is supposed to be up when the machine is out of the cabinet and running, and down when it goes into the cabinet so it has enough space. Am I right? And does anyone know where I'm supposed to attach the chain to?

On a side note, the machine came with a fairly new belt, a rope belt. Where the rope is fused together (I think burned together) it makes a slight 'tac' noise when it goes through the metal hole on the side-plate attached to the machine on the way up. Is that a problem? I've never seen a treadle run on a rope belt before, but other than the slight noise it seems to work okay.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

J.M.
Attached Thumbnails img_20170930_152716.jpg   img_20170930_152725.jpg   img_20170930_152738.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581756[/ATTACH]This (circled hole) may be part of your answer. Not at all certain on a newer machine like yours. The chain may be part of a lift system to pull the machine head up as you hinge the top of the cabinet open. Check the bottom of the top to see if there are traces of a previous mounting system.

The flap is to keep machine oils from dropping on your skirt.

I've never seen a fused rope used like this. Certainly an interesting idea and it took some doing to weld it together.
I don't suppose it could hurt anything, but it you want to take it back to original you'll need to look for a leather belt.

Those pressed tin legs are so much lighter than cast iron. They make it much easier to move it around.

Congratulations on your purchase. If nothing else, tie up the chain so it isn't rubbing on anything. Oil everything that moves and you'll be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails 15-flap-chain-b.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM

The chain would hook to the bottom of the machine. When you lift the machine up, the chain pulls the dust cover up and out of the way of your knees, when you lower the machine, the dust cover drops down so your machine can fit.

Usually they've fallen off and people use them with the dust cover in the "Down" position.

I have some like that on non treadle cabinets too. Most of my older treadle cabinets have a fixed dust cover, and it's a bit higher up and some have a cutout for the flywheel when the machine is at rest.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:07 AM

Congratulations on a great treadle machine! My 15-88 is in the same cabinet and it is just a wonderful machine to sew on. Lately I have been using it to quilt, lots of fun to be had!

As it has been said, the chain holds up the oil shield while you are using the machine. I just took a picture of mine, so hopefully you can find where to hook it on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171006_085912-800x600.jpg