Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need a second opinion,... or a second set of arms to... >

Need a second opinion,... or a second set of arms to...

Need a second opinion,... or a second set of arms to...

Old 07-24-2015, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Uh Bubba and/or Sweet Thang?
(Hehehe)

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Oh!! Oh, I got it! Thanks to SteveH's suggestions! ....
Glad to be of service! I have the same issue all the time in IT system troubleshooting.... Some seemingly annoying "nuance" turns out to be the key to the issue that was being futzed over...
Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Glad to be of service! I have the same issue all the time in IT system troubleshooting.... Some seemingly annoying "nuance" turns out to be the key to the issue that was being futzed over...
I found a lot of that when implementing COTS "solutions" in the public sector. Oh the headaches!

My co-workers knew when I found the "solution" (usually something exceedingly non-sensical) when I'd grab my head and moan "Owww! My Eye!!!" (for the stabbing headache that originates right behind the eye, practically blinding you.) As always, I had to train on the process change then field the "WTH were they thinking?" questions.

Uh,... I'm just the messenger!

Come to think of it, I think I had that same headache yesterday...
Old 07-25-2015, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

In 3 days of fairly solid fighting, I did NOT bond with that machine at all! Too many things seemed needlessly complex for the sake of... probably patents or avoiding patents? The top tensioner kept snapping my thread as I was trying to thread the machine because of a really bizarre design (and Aurifil thread which is thin to begin with), the pins to "hold" the hook seemed entirely unnecessary and in fact are on most other class 15 type machines (though this is more like a 115 - rotary and all...), the bobbin case is fiddly, and that needlebar hitting the foot if the foot is up when trying to bring the bobbin thread up or checking things like timing made me consider trying to heave it out the window that's at eye height in my studio.
Do you feel that way about just that machine or White in general. I have a couple White made machines and never had any real problems but they aren't my go to machine for some reason.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Do you feel that way about just that machine or White in general. I have a couple White made machines and never had any real problems but they aren't my go to machine for some reason.
I've had 3 White machines and a few White made Kenmore machines in total.

The first one - a class 15 clone - was before I sewed (well) - it was tuned up by an army seamster and pronounced a lovely machine. At the time, I thought it was bunk. It didn't sew any better than my 290C. I later - after I donated it to a rescue society and learned to sew a few years after that - came to learn that it was possibly a machine I would have loved. If I were to ever come across that baby blue clone again, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Then I had one that was likely somewhere in the late 60s to late 70s era. It cleaned up fine and sewed beautifully. Didn't really spend a lot of time bonding with it but had no complaints at all with it. The gal I gave it to had the presser foot lever fall off though. That was a screw I'd never thought to check before then! I fixed it for her the next time I saw her. To the best of my knowledge, she's still using it a few years later.

All of the Kenmores - as I usually mention in other threads - have never given me issues. Though the most common ones I deal with are the Maruzen/Jaguar and Janome machines. Though like the other Kenmore machines, I find for some reason that those Whites didn't really want to reveal their personalities to me. Still, I'll take an understated personality over a bad attitude any day.

This is the oldest White I've dealt with here, the most abused White and the most belligerent White I've dealt with (discounting of course my probably poor treatment of the clone!) I can see if the machine had been well maintained that its "isms" would have been a lot more tolerable and I would have been a lot more tolerant of it if I had found that bushing earlier. I do think also that, if I were just sewing on it - not servicing - I would also be less critical of it. I find that of a few of the brands.

I also find that as I'm getting older, I am really appreciating "simple and just works" a lot more. I'm not quite ready to make the drastic changes - a mac, an automatic car, etc. - but I sure can appreciate why people do it.