Need Singer 201 repair parts

Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 AM

Default Need Singer 201 repair parts

I have a Singer 201 that is no longer working. I had it checked out when I had another sewing machine in for repair, and was told it needed a new motor. I didn't have it repaired, but have since decided to get it up and running. Someone who is good at repairs in general, but has never worked on a sewing machine has offered to try and get it running. Would that be a pretty easy job to do, and are there motors and parts available for this machine? If so, can someone tell me the best place to buy them?
Thanks so much.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 AM

I didn't have any problems coming up with replacement parts for mine.

What is wrong with the motor? Mine needed rewiring and cleaned, that's all pretty standard stuff.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:53 AM

amcatanzaro, I don't really know what is wrong with the motor, but I have wondered if it needs rewiring. It has been a while since I had it checked out, and can't remember exactly what they said about the motor. I think he said it needs a new motor, but am not sure. Did you do your own repair?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 AM

You can down load a Singer 201 Adjusters and Service manual at this link. It may help the person who will be working on your machine. http://pappp.net/wp-content/uploads/...ers-Manual.pdf

Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Thank you so much, Caroline S! This is a great help.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
Someone who is good at repairs in general, but has never worked on a sewing machine has offered to try and get it running. Would that be a pretty easy job to do, and are there motors and parts available for this machine? If so, can someone tell me the best place to buy them?
You can direct the person who is going to help you to this link, which is a complete tutorial:
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...ted-motor.html

Chances are that it's filled with old grease and the wiring has gone south. However, if that doesn't fix it, the potted motors are no longer produced and you would have to find a donor machine. I've read that the 15-91 motor can be used as a replacement.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

Thanks so much, Napa John! I checked out the sight, and it seems for sure to be what we need. If we get that thing up and running, I will post a picture!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 AM

piepatch,

My 201-2 started giving me trouble. It would sew for a seam, then when I went to sew again it wouldn't run. If I nudged the hand wheel it would take right off.
I removed the brush screws, brushes and springs and cleaned them, their tubes and the commutator with q-tips and denatured alcohol.
The black crud that came off every thing was carbon build up and a bit of oil residue. Once cleaned it starts and stops just fine and runs great.

Check the wires but before you take it apart clean the brushes and their parts.

Joe
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM

Thank you, J Miller for the information! I saved it, and am passing it along with all the information gathered here to my volunteer family member who thinks he might be able to get it up and running for me.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 AM

While the potted motors as a unit aren't around anymore I believe the actual motor drive itself could be pretty easily replaced if it needs to be.

I sent mine away on vacation for a week and when it came back it was good as new. I have no experience with motor repair but I did get it torn down and looked at everything/cleaned it out.