Nelco Deluxe

Old 11-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Question Nelco Deluxe

I have a Nelco Deluxe sewing machine and I first must admit that I am not an avid sewing type guy, but I often wish I could
(and have spent hours trying to) make this machine work for many shop projects. This machine won't make a stitch. I am wondering if I might need a special needle or something. This is an old (probably antique) machine but it seems to be in very good condition. I have "you tubed' about all I can find out about it, how to thread it and make bobbins and such but can't find if maybe it takes a special needle or something. Any advice or info would be appreciated
Old 11-25-2020, 12:55 PM

Hi Kinsey, welcome aboard.

There is a wide variety if Nelco deluxes's out there.. It looks like most are Japanese made starting just after WWII. If you could load a pic it would be nice.

probably not a special needle but it does need to be the right one and placed correctly and threaded properly. Those are hard to do by guess and the previous owner may not have known.

Hopefully a user will jump on here.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Welcome. As Leon mentioned there are a lot of different Nelco machines out there probably beginning in the 1950s. Most domestic Japanese and Taiwanese machine would use standard System 15x1 ,130/705H needles.. A lot of the machines would thread from left to right (with the flat side of the needle on the right) or from front to back (with the flat of the needle to the back).

A lot of them that I have seen take a class 15 bobbin with the 1 o'clock finger. I think that most would thread as shown at https://www.oldsewingear.com/blog/ho...lass-15-bobbin You will need to make sure the bobbin case is secure in the race.

When you thread the machine, you should have the presser foot up, so that the thread will go between the tension discs. After going between the tension discs, you need to hold the top thread and bring the tension spring with the thread past the hook or notch on the tension assembly.

Another thing that I've been known to forget is to make sure that there is some pressure on the presser foot. Yes, you can do FMQ or darning without any pressure, but it doesn't sew seams very well. Also, many of these machines of this era have a knob to drop the feed for silk sewing or embroidery. For sewing seems you will want the feed dogs in the normal position.

Indeed a picture of your machine would help us, help you. We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-25-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. Happy Thanksgiving and as you can see there is always someone willing to help get you on the right track. If the suggestions above don't help write another post for added help. Posting a picture can be a bit tricky once you get your picture image added open the screen wider to upload your picture. That is where the tricky part is. Once you do it once it will come natural to you. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you in these parts.
Again welcome to the QB.