New Home Janome model 352

Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Default New Home Janome model 352

Here's my latest addition. It's a New Home made by Janome in Taiwan. It's model #352 and I couldn't find much info. on the net about it. It's a class 15 type. I was gifted this machine as I'm sure the owner couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I've spent over 2 hours on it cleaning, oiling and refurbishing. It needed light repair, the tension assembly had to be broken down and fixed and the bobbin case was broken. Luckily, I have another class 15 bobbin case I could use. It makes a nice straight stitch now and is fast little machine.
Attached Thumbnails img_7413.jpg   img_7408.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Great machine, good job getting her running!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 AM

What did you use to clean it up? I have heard about TR3, what is it & do you use it?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Just plain sewing machine oil and Amorall. It's safe on car paint, so is safe on my machines. But, plain old sewing machine oil gets most of the grime off.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Default another obscure machine made in Taiwan...

Hello Quilting Board members!

A couple of days ago I was given a New Home Janome model 376.

It looks exactly (I mean, exactly, holes on the top and all) like your 352.

I had no luck trying to find a manual or user instructions on web pages and videos.

My machine works. I tried to thread it, but I'm sure I did something wrong (total newbie to the world of vintage sewing machines). I looked at the threading path on the 2nd picture of your post, but it's not too clear.

Candace, do you think you could post a clearer picture of the threading path, so I can follow it?

Thanks in any case and best regards from London!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Banned

I can try to walk you through it. Facing the end of the machine the thread goes through the guide at the top, down the left side in between the tension discs, up the right side of tension making sure the thread goes under the spring so when you pull up on the thread it pulls up on the spring so the thread "catches" at the edge of the metal there, and then through the hole in the take up lever and down through the last two thread guides before the needle. I'm not positive which way the needle faces but it looks like it goes in flat to the right(if you're facing the front of the machine) so the needle will thread left to right.

Hope this helps,
Cari
Old 08-19-2018, 03:31 AM

How on earth does one break a bobbin case?
Old 08-19-2018, 04:27 AM

I don't know about Candace's machine, but I have a New Home that I got from CL cheap. The woman said she had it serviced but it still had "tension issues". Well, yeah! Because there was no tension spring or screw on the bobbin case! I couldn't find a source for the missing part so I used a Bernina bobbin case tension spring from eBay and a generic tension screw from Sew-Classic. Its not perfect, but at least now it will sew a stitch! So that's my story of a broken bobbin case. Have also had a machine with a broken latch spring so that the latch was floppy. But it would still sew.

Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of HOW one breaks a bobbin case;-)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Banned

Over the years I've had two 15 class bobbin cases just fall apart in my hand as I opened the latch. I was able to put one back together and it worked, the other I just tossed. 15 class bobbin cases are plentiful and not expensive. About 5 years ago I bought a box of a dozen NOS, still wrapped in tissue paper, for $10. Two were slightly rusty but the rest still look new.

Cari