Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club

I haven't had to do this since. Other machines have not been so locked up, but at the time, nothing I did loosened it up. I tried everything that was suggested and finally I just decided to take it apart. I took the whole rod out of the bottom between the gear and the bobbin spinner. I knew everything in the machine moved at least a little, but this rod did not move at all. I soaked the whole rod in PB Blaster for about a week before I got it to move even the slightest. After I got the rod out of the bushings, I had to polish it a bit with steel wool and cleaned the inside of the bushings out as well before I could get it to move smoothly without hanging up. I learned a lot with this machine!

One thing I love is that it is so LIGHT! I can hold it easily with one hand while settling it back onto its pins in the cabinet. It's a great machine now. Quiet and smooth running. I just wish I had more than one bobbin. It doesn't hold a lot, so I find myself stopping to wind a bobbin more often than with other machines.

Barb

Question How do I get the faceplate off?

Here are a couple of "before" and "after" pics of my New Home.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the faceplate comes off or not so would love to hear from someone who has this same machine. It's a Series A. I can't seem to find anyplace where it would come apart.

The flat metal part on top is the tension! You tighten or loosen the screw to adjust the tension. I really love the Maas metal polish. Even though the metal pieces still look old they are now as smooth as a baby's bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~Cathy~~

Name:  WP_002383.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  385.7 KBOh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.
    Last edited by quiltingweb; 10-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    Name:  WP_002383.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  385.7 KBOh Cathy, it's beautiful! There has to be a way for it to come apart. While most of my machines have a screw on the left end that holds the face plate on, my Whites both have a screw that is to the right of that part of the machine that holds it all together.
    I'll have to check it out. I know that there are two screws on the same side as yours, but near the bottom instead. I was afraid to undo them in case the needle bar, etc just fell right out onto the table....lol! Thanks!
    ~~Cathy~~

One thing that has saved me several times...I take pictures of things before I take them apart...helps me figure out how to put them back together!

O.K. I took the plunge and decided to see if I could get the face plate apart. There were six screws on the right side of that area. Once I unscrewed them the face plate came right off. The insides looked a LOT different and less complicated than all of my other machines!

~~Cathy~~

Here are a few more....some 'before' and 'after'. The long skinny rectangular thing is the needlebar.

~~Cathy~~

This is how the needlebar is connected inside the faceplate. The little knob on the needlebar fits into the hole on the 'thing-y' on the faceplate side.

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 10-25-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: forgot to add the pics!
    ~~Cathy~~

Wow! Good job!

Next you need to hold the needlebar against the faceplate while fitting it up against the circle, with the little knob, on the other section of the faceplate area. (A third hand would come in handy while doing this ) The little knob moves back and forth....left to right in a semi-circle, when sewing, which causes the needlebar to go up and down, up and down to produce the stitch.

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 10-25-2012 at 06:48 AM. Reason: forgot to add pics, again!
    ~~Cathy~~

I just bought a New Home treadle at an estate sale for $28. The cabinet has been painted a light pea green. DH is looking up how to refinish it. The serial number appears to be 3209267. I'm heading back to the basement workshop to take some pictures. I'm glad I found you all.

Patricia

Name:  IMG_1438.JPG
Views: 1260
Size:  990.7 KBName:  IMG_1437.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  1.21 MBName:  IMG_1434.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  1.34 MBName:  IMG_1436.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  1.08 MB

Here she is. We found the attachment box and owner's manual in one of the drawers. Any idea what type of wood might be under that green?

Most likely oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva1 View Post
    Name:  IMG_1438.JPG
Views: 1260
Size:  990.7 KBName:  IMG_1437.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  1.21 MBName:  IMG_1434.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  1.34 MBName:  IMG_1436.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  1.08 MB

Here she is. We found the attachment box and owner's manual in one of the drawers. Any idea what type of wood might be under that green?
    That looks like the same exact cabinet that my New Home sits in. I think it's oak but the finish isn't in good condition so I may have to refinish it anyway. Last year, someone on this forum stripped down an ugly painted cabinet to reveal a beautiful cabinet under the paint.
    ~~Cathy~~

I am SO glad I found this. I recently acquired a NEW HOME (was supposed to be a White) and it is missing a piece. The machine seems to run fine but won't sew. Apparently, the piece that holds the sewing needle in place is very important

It is the 100 YEAR anniversary machine, Model 6033. I almost couldn't find anything on that particular model and the sewing machine people didn't think I was right (cell phone saved the day) so, here's hoping another one shows up !!

Okay .. here goes! I called the Janome number and was advised they never made such a machine. I have pictures that clearly show the NEW HOME name and Rockford Illinois, and Model #. I was told, though, that the machine would have been made between 1932-1953. I dunno ... seems younger than that. Any clues?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithswife View Post
    Okay .. here goes! I called the Janome number and was advised they never made such a machine. I have pictures that clearly show the NEW HOME name and Rockford Illinois, and Model #. I was told, though, that the machine would have been made between 1932-1953. I dunno ... seems younger than that. Any clues?
    It most likely was NOT made in THAT factory so they won't have any record of it.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Hmm ... ? Then, it's a dead end? I asked if there was anyone that would have information on it, but they said, "no." There are two girls (women) that handle those calls. I just wish I knew more.

Oh, and you are probably right, but which factory .. that is the mystery, now.
    Last edited by paulsmithswife; 11-08-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithswife View Post
    Oh, and you are probably right, but which factory .. that is the mystery, now.
    Have you posted a picture of this particular machine?

Not yet. I have the photos on my phone and am looking for the "cord." But, it should be soon

Blog Entries
    Jeez, since we are all posting photos of our New Homes, here is mine. This is a 1926 New Home T No 3 with a coffin top with "Tree of Life" carvings. She has a friction pulley motor and runs very nicely, but takes a hard to find Boye #4 or 20x1 needle.

Nancy
    Name:  new Home T No 3 1926.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  1.26 MB

Blog Entries
    Oh and I meant to tell everyone, I LOVE the photos of your machines! Now I want a New Home treadle!

Nancy

New home 6033

This is the machine . Any help would be great.
    I cannot get a good pic of the serial number but I do have it.

Here is what I have been wondering ... Janome acquired New Home in 1960 when New Home was 100 Yrs. Is it possible that is why my model is not familiar? Maybe it's the anniversary model that never really was because New Home ceased to exist?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast