Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to me Pfaff 1221 - Colour me sad >

New to me Pfaff 1221 - Colour me sad

New to me Pfaff 1221 - Colour me sad

Old 10-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Default New to me Pfaff 1221 - Colour me sad

Well I finally got the bobbin area cleaned as best I could. No thread or fibers anywhere that I could see. However there was brown gunk that came off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. It looks clean now.
Oiled it as directed in the French language manual and tried stitching.
Well It stitched well on straight stitch at various lengths - made a rough noise at first but stopped after a few inches of stitches. Looking good...
Then I tried the zigzag...no matter where I set the dial, I got satin stitch. And then when I reverted to straight stitching… nothing. The feed dogs are moving but not grabbing....
So... it joins the lineup. Hoping to have a sewing machine repairman come to the house. This ones in a cabinet and I have several other machines that I need an opinion as to whether it's worth my while to fix them.
I had my son bring one of my other Pfaffs downstairs for me to use.... since I am banned from using the upstairs steps since my fall.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:31 AM

I have a Pfaff 1222, and was told by two shops that it couldn't be "fixed". Finally found someone who actually took it apart, cleaned 45 hears of gunk out with some car engine degreaser, and got it back to PERFECT. They called this machine the Workhorse, and all it needed was someone to really care enough to get the workings back "in line" to work another 45 years. Don't give up!
Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 AM

The Pfaff 1221 and 22 were some of the best machines made. You just need to find someone who has been repairing machines for 20 or 30 years to get them serviced and fixed.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:57 AM

OH, you may want to check and see if the cam stack is cracked. If so go on ebay and see if someone is selling one.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Cam stack looks perfect! And it should not affect the straight and zigzag stitiches. I have a 1222 that sews perfectly on straight or zigzag - just can't use the buttons.
On the hunt for OSMG... will not take it to the one in Woodstock. Got a new line on one though. So sad since my Pfaff repairman retired...
Old 10-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Cam stack looks perfect! And it should not affect the straight and zigzag stitiches. I have a 1222 that sews perfectly on straight or zigzag - just can't use the buttons.
On the hunt for OSMG... will not take it to the one in Woodstock. Got a new line on one though. So sad since my Pfaff repairman retired...
Do you mean the cam buttons on top? My first clue was that the button-holer lever would not engage to reverse. My second clue was when I would dial from straight to zigzag, and it wouldn't return to precisely straight stitches. All fixed by the technician at All Brands in Richmond, Virginia. He said nothing was actually wrong, it was just gunked up from all the years of use.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Here's hoping it's just gunked up inside. If I can find someone who's willing to work on these Pfaff's, I'll get him/her to clean and service all of 'em! They are just the absolute best machine...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Well I finally got the bobbin area cleaned as best I could. No thread or fibers anywhere that I could see. However there was brown gunk that came off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. It looks clean now.
Oiled it as directed in the French language manual and tried stitching................................
I got a little chuckle out of your post when I got to this part. I envisioned you “speaking” French at this point. :-)
Old 10-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
I got a little chuckle out of your post when I got to this part. I envisioned you “speaking” French at this point. :-)
Oh there was speaking... but it wasn't French! Happily, pictures translate well.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:40 AM

I experienced something similar and it turned out the stitch selector dial was broken. I ended up selling it for parts sadly. The person I sold it to was very happy to get it.