Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"New" old ironing board-Mary Proctor >

"New" old ironing board-Mary Proctor

"New" old ironing board-Mary Proctor

Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 AM

I had one that I bought in the late 60's and passed it on to my daughter when I inherited my mother's wooden ironing board that she got as a wedding present in 1938. I love that board. I have two houses and was lucky enough to find an old metal one probably from the 40's or 50's at a thrift shop that is heavy as lead but sturdy and nostalgic for me.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:40 AM

I have one of those boards but not sure of the name since 1962. I had always stacked the covers, adding a fresh one as needed. But when I began heirloom sewing and then later quilting, I removed all of the old "packings" and started fresh. It was way too soft and cushy. I also have an old wooden ironing board that I picked up at a flea market. It came with an old quilt covering. When I use it I cover it with white muslin so that the old quilt will not be damaged (scorched, starched, etc).
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Yes! That's a picture of my gem of an ironing board. I inherited it from my grandmother in the sixties. I use the adjustable heights, too! I have my "in house made big board" safely resting on the top surface. Truly we have the very best ironing board on the market (or in the thrift store). Thanks for sharing. I never did know the name of the item.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 AM

My Mom has that one and uses it all the time...they got it at a wedding shower in 1954. I've already told her that I want that one in her will....as well as her Bernina 930.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Just went in to see the name on mine. Label is missing but I got it for a shower gift in 1971 (a few years ago). Mr. ex thought he would give it to his mother since she could use it. I gave him a look and a divorce (for other reasons I won't go into) but not the ironing board. Mine is also adjustable. I set it up against our current kitchen table when ironing a large piece of fabric for drapes I made for the living room. DH uses it when he needs it. He has used it to iron veneer on to a strip of wood. He always makes sure it's protected. I put ironing board material on a large piece of wood to make my board wider. It's removable. I wouldn't give my board up for nothing. When we had family get togethers it was nothing for all the women to bring their boards to set up the buffets just incase we needed more table tops. One year we had 8 boards.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Ironing board

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I lucked into a vintage ironing board at the Hospice thrift yesterday. It'a a Mary Proctor Hi-Lo model with a cordminder and it was only 5.00. Love it! It's heavy as all get out, and very stable. The cordminder is a bonus. It folds down when not in use and up to hold the cord out of the way.

Does anyone else have one of these?
I have one just like it that was my moms. Love it, and DGS built a wider board for the top! It oo, must be like 70 years old!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Mine is green and have used it for a long time. Recently, I bought a portable small board at dollar store fo $3.00 and put it on my table to my left while piecing and found that I press much more often now. Somewhere in this old house there is a wooden ironing board just waiting to be used...
Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 AM

.Not sure of the brand, but I have one like this that I got with Green Stamps in 1958. I took a 3 year old toddler, and a eight month old baby on the bus to get it. Can't you just picture me standing at the bus stop with an ironing board and then bringing it back home with two little ones? I even had the baby in a stroller!!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Oh my! I'm happy to hear so many of you have vintage ironing boards too! I am so pleased with how stable it feels and it's wider than my cheapie too.

Oh I can just imagine dragging a 3 year old and a baby on the bus to get an ironing board! I bet you got some looks on the bus!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM
sap

I have a wooden 3 legged ironing board, nonadjustable with the price tag still on it $1.98 it hangs on the wall.
Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I lucked into a vintage ironing board at the Hospice thrift yesterday. It'a a Mary Proctor Hi-Lo model with a cordminder and it was only 5.00. Love it! It's heavy as all get out, and very stable. The cordminder is a bonus. It folds down when not in use and up to hold the cord out of the way.

Does anyone else have one of these?