new OLD Singer Slant Needle

Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Question new OLD Singer Slant Needle

Hi gang,

As I posted in my intro thread, we are finally digging in to oiling up and getting ready to rumble with my Singer Slant Needle 604! It was my fiance's grandmothers and she passed it on to me as I LOVE to sew. The top thread tension looks absolutely fabulous, but the bottom thread tension is very loose. I've already rethreaded the machine. It's not bird nesting but staying very loose throughout the seam.

Has anyone had this issue or can recommend how to adjust the bottom reel tension? I think this is the last issue I need to fix before my old gal can sew like a charm

Thank you!!

- Jen
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Jen,

My only experience with bad lower tension on the 600 series was due to the flip lever that holds the bobbin down being sprung. It freely flipped up and down instead of kind of snapping down over the bobbin. I am not sure of any fix to that except replacement, but if the lever that holds the bobbin down on your machine doesn't snap down, then at least you know what is wrong.

Dayle
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM

Dayle,

We actually took apart the entire machine last night to clean out the tensions and lubriciate well before attempting to sew! The machine has a brand new needle in it and everything is turning very smoothly. She is slow to start and the speed is very touchy, it's in a cabinet with a knee-press which to be honest I'm not used to at all! so the touchy speed could just be operator error. I am going to try re-winding a bobbin tonight and see if maybe the bobbin is not wound properly. If that doesn't fix it I will toy with the lower tension. Do you know which screw that is? The service guide doesn't say where it is, all it says is don't touch!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM

No, I am sorry I don't know how to adjust the tension, since those horizontal drop-in bobbins aren't exsactly in a case. I think trying another bobbin, or rewinding the one you have is an excellent idea. Those bobbins can be touchy, and you may have one that is warped or worn in some way.

When you have the presser foot lowered and simply pull on the bobbin thread after it is brought up through the needle hole, can you feel tension? If not, do you feel more tension if you put pressure with your finger on the snap down lever that holds the bobbin in place?

I don't have that machine any more, so I am sorry that I can't help with more information.

Dayle

Dayle
Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM

Have you tried turning the top tension [above the needle] to the right [tighter] on 3 or 4?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM

try the top tension before you start fiddling with the bottom one
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Dayle - didn't get to rewinding my bobbin tonight, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow! My fiance threaded the machine, I was making dinner and he was working on it last night so I wonder if he didn't get it into the tension discs up top. Like I said the top is beautiful but the bottom of the seam is bunchy. It's not bird nesting though so I am really hoping the bobbin is either too loose or the top tension is off. Thanks for the tip on the lower tension to determine if there is any! Didn't even think of that one. If we can't fix it I will take some pictures and show you guys!

Barny - yeah, I don't want to mess with the lower unless it is totally necessary. I don't want this one to be a Touch and Toss! but the top tension does not fix it at any setting.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM

If you've got loops on the bottom side, it's the top tension causing it. Floss between your upper tension discs. A tiny piece of lint or thread in there will hold them apart just enough that they can't tighten down on your upper thread...keeping your top tension too loose at any number.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 AM

A knee-lever speed control on a Singer machine is usually pressing on a foot control. If you tilt the machine back and look inside the front of the cabinet, the foot control will be there in a clamp - all you have to do is slide it straight up and out and then you can tuck the knee lever up out of sight and use the foot control on the floor.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 PM

I have 3 in the 600 touch and sew series. If you start working with the bottom tension, it's the tiny screw on the silver bobbin holder. I'm not home for a few weeks, so I'm trying to remember how this looks. I believe it's on the right side. I've adjusted mine a couple of times (different machines). My technique is moving it to the right a quarter turn. Try it out to see if there is a change. Turn it to the right again a quarter turn. Is it better or worse? If worse, return it to the first position and turn it to the left a quarter turn. Whichever way, make slow adjustments until it is corrected.

However, if this is your first Singer slant needle, before you start on the bobbin tension, check the book to make sure the bobbin is feeding the right direction. I've found it feeds the opposite direction than my Janome 6500 and several Brothers that I picked up. Lastly, make sure there is no thread or fuzzy stuff in the bobbin area. Then try the tension adjustment.

My daughter messed up my 600 when she lost her temper learning to sew. The thread knotted and she yanked rather than unhook or cut the thread. I replaced the bobbin holder and hook. It worked fine after that. The new holder has a touch of white paint on top of the screw to keep it in place. If you get it adjusted right and it slips again, you might try a drop of paint or even a bit of nail polish to keep it where it needs to be.

They are neat machines but do like a gentle touch ( no pun intended).