New Sterling Machine

Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 AM

Default New Sterling Machine

Hi, this is my (new to me) vintage machine I have inherited, It says 'New Sterling' if anyone knows of any information about this it would be greatfully received, as I would like to restore it and get it up and running again. Thankyou in advance
Old 06-12-2021, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Artistunderwood View Post
Hi, this is my (new to me) vintage machine I have inherited, It says 'New Sterling' if anyone knows of any information about this it would be greatfully received, as I would like to restore it and get it up and running again. Thankyou in advance
hopefully these should upload so you can see it.
Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20210612-151732_gallery.jpg   received_323776925856605.jpeg   received_2899311193718679.jpeg  
Old 06-12-2021, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the pictures. Nice looking machine. I need to get to work, but I believe that a manual for a similar machine can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...m-e-manual.pdf I believe it was made by Davis and is considered a Davis underfeed. I think there should be a serial number either on the front slide plate or on the machine under the front slide plate.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:15 AM

I've never had a treadle, so I'm giving overall vintage machine advice. First, it needs to be cleaned and oiled. Here is a post that Miriam made several years ago How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav(It has some links in it on how to clean a machine in the first post. I understand that Miriam will post an answer on that thread if you have a question, although she doesn't generally post here very often.)

Download the manual, it should tell you the oiling points. Basically, oil anything that moves. Once it's cleaned and oiled, oftentimes, that's all it needs.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and add or correct what I've suggested.

Bkay
Old 06-12-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I've never had a treadle, so I'm giving overall vintage machine advice. First, it needs to be cleaned and oiled. Here is a post that Miriam made several years ago How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav(It has some links in it on how to clean a machine in the first post. I understand that Miriam will post an answer on that thread if you have a question, although she doesn't generally post here very often.)

Download the manual, it should tell you the oiling points. Basically, oil anything that moves. Once it's cleaned and oiled, oftentimes, that's all it needs.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will come along and add or correct what I've suggested.

Bkay
thankyou very much for your advice, Today I have cleaned it up and tomorrow hopefully my machine oil should arrive in the post so I can oil it, I am a bit gutted to say that I have noticed there is the piece missing though from the bobbin winder. I've no idea where to find the correct spare part for it😥
Attached Thumbnails screenshot_20210612-232516_gallery.jpg  
Old 06-12-2021, 02:27 PM

Bkay
Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Thank you for the pictures. Nice looking machine. I need to get to work, but I believe that a manual for a similar machine can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...m-e-manual.pdf I believe it was made by Davis and is considered a Davis underfeed. I think there should be a serial number either on the front slide plate or on the machine under the front slide plate.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
thankyou for sharing this is brilliant information 😀
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 AM

As I mentioned before, I have no experience with machines of that age. I like Singers from the 40's and 50's, because it's not hard to get parts. I've heard of Helen Howes in the UK for vintage parts. I usually rely on Ebay, but I'm not sure it will help. I did a search for "Davis Underfeed Parts" and came up with this post. They are helpful people who like REALLY old sewing machines. They may be able to help you.
bkay
Old 06-15-2021, 12:27 PM

"there is the piece missing though from the bobbin winder." do not cry about it. It can still be used. The missing arm slowly swings from side to side at the tread is being would to the bobbin. you can do it my hand if you choose.

Your shuttle and bobbins will look something like this..

Don't take that faceplate off until you are fully ready. it is a tricky one with parts that will fall off.

Attached Thumbnails vsm-vibrating-shuttle-bobbin-c.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 05:37 AM

Default Thankyou

As I mentioned before, I have no experience with machines of that age. I like Singers from the 40's and 50's, because it's not hard to get parts. I've heard of Helen Howes in the UK for vintage parts. I usually rely on Ebay, but I'm not sure it will help. I did a search for "Davis Underfeed Parts" and came up with this post. They are helpful people who like REALLY old sewing machines. They may be able to help you.
bkay
thankyou ❤️ I will take a look
Old 06-20-2021, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
"there is the piece missing though from the bobbin winder." do not cry about it. It can still be used. The missing arm slowly swings from side to side at the tread is being would to the bobbin. you can do it my hand if you choose.

Your shuttle and bobbins will look something like this..

Don't take that faceplate off until you are fully ready. it is a tricky one with parts that will fall off.
ok thankyou very much for your advice