Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Newbie to vintage, help please. >

Newbie to vintage, help please.

Newbie to vintage, help please.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Newbie to vintage, help please.

I was at a local quilt show today and went through a flea market around the location and found this beauty. I unfortunately know nothing about vintage machines. I was hoping someone may know something about this and help me out. It is in excellent condition as far as I can tell. All decals still intact and the engravings on the silver plates are there and excellent. It is in was appears to be its original cabinet. The lady know nothing about it as well and agreed to $50. I was wondering if this is a good price and what they normally go for. How much I can be looking at to bring it back to life. Thanks for any help you can give.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]437151[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-machine.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 PM

Could use a few closer pictures. Is it belt driven? Looks a bit like my 15-91 from what I can see.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Not sure about that. Like I said I dont know alot about them. I will be going back and taking another look tomorrow. Will get better pics and more info then. Had to come home and research it a bit to know what to look for. If anyone can add somethings that I should look for I would greatly appreciate it. From the research i did, I do believe it is in fact a 15-91.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

I haven't had a parts machine from all the Singer 15s or the 15 clones. I get right around that much for a cleaned up machine. More if I have to fix the wiring.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 AM

I almost bought a 15-91 like that. They are relatively rare, because they have the nickel stitch lever cover plate, and the Singer emblem is nickel as well.

$50 is a great price for a regular 15-91 in a cabinet, so for that model, it is a really great price. If the wiring needs replaced, and you can do it yourself (it isn't very hard to do), that could run $20 or so.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM

The nickel plated machines are new to me. It appeared to me the stitch regulator lever cover plate is missing. Must be really rare.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 AM

That is one i would not have even thought twice about - I keep hoping to stumble upon a nickel plate model. I found one in a quilt shop, but the owner wasn't there and DH didn't want me to contact her about buying it - poor thing was in horrid shape! He figured he couldn't get it running - All I wanted was the nickel plate stuff. Since it was used as a display prop, it will probably still be there if we ever get up that way again. DH was being a pain that day, and since we had just picked up a treadle machine, I didn't want to push the point.

The neat thing with these, when you change the stitch length - the number that appears in the little rectangle cutout changes. Just kind of a neat option.

BTW - as far as i know, this option was only put on the 15-91, and it is quite rare. Though not really in great demand . . .

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-21-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks ladies for the info. Planning on going and taking another look tomorrow. Its been there for quite a while. Dont really think people know what they are looking at just as I didnt. All I knew was it was an old Singer. Just sold a quilt at show today so I think I may jump on this little beauty.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm not a lady, but you're welcome.

You should definitely grab it, as they are great machines.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Make sure you get the serial Number and then you can be sure what it is and when it was made.