Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Noisey 15-91 sewing machine

Thank you man_quilter...all information is appreciated...started this thread a couple of years ago, and this now about the only machine I consider when I'm doing FMQ in my quilts. Must not be as noisey as it once was or I am more used to it now.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

Blog Entries
    I use my 15-91 for FM but have not noticed it being more noisy than my other machines. My favorite FM foot is a generic low shank I purchased from Sew Classic: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...luxe-NN-31.htm
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by man_quilter View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but for those who arrive here via internet search for a solution to a noisy bobbin area on a 15-90 or 15-91, you may try checking your shuttle driver cushion spring (page 28 of 15-91 adjuster's manual, just google for it). The spring tends to flatten out over time and allow too much space, resulting in the click-click or clack-clack. You can tighten up by bending the spring out a bit; but be careful, if you bend too much you will have issues with thread not getting though and breaking. Or, you can always just replace the spring with a new one, Singer part number 125298. I'm not a professional, this is just what has worked on my machines.
    My mothers old HOTHER 15 clone has that annoying clicking sound. I'll bet that is a good place to look. Hopefully the 15-91 or other 15 adjusters manual specs will work on a JUKI made clone.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

I bought two of them a few weeks apart and I loved one and hated the other...They sewed very differently as far as stitches too, both were in very good shape and nothing wrong mechanically. Neither were quiet and one was much noisier. They are work horses though and do not complain no matter what you throw at them.
    Creativity needs focus and application...
    http://sewvintageuniqueboutique.blogspot.com/

I've noticed that with other machines I have duplicates of. Some are quiet and totally cooperative. Others are just cranky and contrary. I just take my time with them and work the bugs out.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

I realize this is an old thread but so much useful tidbits!

I sew "everything" on my 15-91. It will get noisier if the needle is dull. So will the feather weight (and I'm sure others as well). It will literally be a hammering noise. I was told of a lady who had never changed her needle in 30 plus years going into a quilt shop an asking to buy "a needle". The lady telling me this story said she about sat down!

I tried several "hopping" feet and hated them all for FM. I have my dogs up (or slightly up- depending) and a light down pressure on the pressure foot. I use an open toe foot. I tried the hopping foot hack by Leah Day and still found I liked my open toe foot better.

The thing about the 15-91 is the bobbin side is as nice to look at as the top side. I actually like it appearance -wise over the longarm bobbin side!

Blog Entries
    It could do all kinds of strange things if you use a wrong bobbin. Make sure you are using a 15 bobbin.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2