Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not That Anyone Would Want To

Not That Anyone Would Want To

Seriously? Very rare? Seriously? "Not that anyone would want to use [it], but it works."

This piece is near me. How might I respond to the seller?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/4125650142.html

What makes this person think this machine is so rare? From the picture the cabinet looks very nice, so it may not have been used much or it has been refinished. Wonder what they would consider a low-ball offer? If it doesn't sew then it's just a table. I don't know which model it is, but I can't see that is would be worth much unless you test it out and find that is does everything you want it to do. I have a (1949) Singer 15-91 in a cabinet and since it was the one I learned to sew on to me it is priceless, and my cabinet looks like it has been well used. So if I were to respond to the seller I would ask them why they believe it to be rare, just to start with.

The cabinet looks nice, though I can't quite make out the model of machine.

Make an offer of what you think is a fair price. Judging by the ad, it will likely be too low.
    Mark

This is why antique dealers and sewers should rarely be at opposite ends of a machine transaction, IMHO. One likes dust collectors and prices accordingly, one likes function and pays accordingly. If those two ideas aren't congruent then both are useless to the other and neither one wins.
    -Ashley
    "The biggest blessing is aggressive pressing"
    Mom to Max (Am. Cocker Spaniel) and Charlie (Orange Tabby)

Why do you even feel the need to e-mail the seller? Ignore it and move on...unless you want it??

It's a 66-16 in a #56 cabinet. Neither rare nor antique. I bought one at Good Will just two days ago for a paltry $20.00.

Here's a bigger picture of the one in the add:

Name:  66-.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  73.2 KB

I wouldn't offer him more than $50.00 tops and I'd tell him it's not rare at all. Singer made millions of the things.

As far as wanting to sew with them, why not? That's what they were made for. I use mine, so does my wife.

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 10-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.

When I come across an item I'd like to get but which is over priced I usually respond by saying something to the extent of...
    Hello - If you don't get your price and decide to review that please let me know.
    I'll hear from the seller about half the time.

As for those "make offer" CL listings that don't state a price - they're liable to get flagged. I'm not sure if it's a violation of CL's terms of service or not but back when I posted some things for sale like that - "Make offer" - and they got flagged off because I didn't state a price - which could then be "or best offer". I was advised that they don't allow you to run auctions on CL.

At any rate - if no price is listed I'll reply and state my interest in the item and ask the seller to state the price he'd be willing to take.

Just what I do...not Gospel :-)

Blog Entries
    Joe, I have one of those 66-16s or what ever number it is in very very nice shape and in a bentwood case. I think just the case may be worth more than the $50. You can not give a shot gun approach to pricing any of these sewing machines. Prices may vary from the depressed central Illinois part of the planet to other parts of the country. The world is bigger than Springfield.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Just the way it was phrased sent my BP up. But no, any reply is wasted. My DD lives near BelAir and no, prices are not that much higher than Indy. Naturally I check CL when visiting, its so entertaining.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

omg that looks just like the one my mother use to have! Thanks for reminding me how my kid sister threw it in the dump! whaaaaaaaa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Schiller View Post
    When I come across an item I'd like to get but which is over priced I usually respond by saying something to the extent of...
    Hello - If you don't get your price and decide to review that please let me know.
    I'll hear from the seller about half the time.

As for those "make offer" CL listings that don't state a price - they're liable to get flagged. I'm not sure if it's a violation of CL's terms of service or not but back when I posted some things for sale like that - "Make offer" - and they got flagged off because I didn't state a price - which could then be "or best offer". I was advised that they don't allow you to run auctions on CL.

At any rate - if no price is listed I'll reply and state my interest in the item and ask the seller to state the price he'd be willing to take.

Just what I do...not Gospel :-)
    Usually they just ignore that, too.

If I have learned anything about vintage sewing machines it would be that pricing is bizarre. I think when you mix in sentimental value it mucks things up. You have people that have no idea what to charge and that mucks things up. Shows like Storage Wars that pull vintage items out and claim they are more valuable than gold. etc etc.
    Mostly I think people like us are an uncommon breed, I won't say rare because obviously other people are buying machines too. Maybe to use, maybe to display, maybe because it reminds them of grandma. Most of the machines I have purchased I intend on cleaning up and using. But a lot of people out there seem to assume no one is using these machines.
    I'm babbling. I suppose if you want it offer what you are comfortable with and if they aren't interested move on. Unless it's OMG RARE (which this isn't) there will be more. I'm with Joe, tell them you are interested for $50, never know, in a week that $50 might sound like a really good offer.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Shows like Storage Wars that pull vintage items out and claim they are more valuable than gold. etc etc.
    Oy! Nothing makes me more crazy than shows of that ilk that tell you what an item is supposed to sell for or what they intend to offer it for instead of what it actually brought. It's such a TV scam.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Joe, I have one of those 66-16s or what ever number it is in very very nice shape and in a bentwood case. I think just the case may be worth more than the $50. You can not give a shot gun approach to pricing any of these sewing machines. Prices may vary from the depressed central Illinois part of the planet to other parts of the country. The world is bigger than Springfield.
    So then I shouldn't post my opinion or tell what I've bought the same exact machine for??????

The CL seller said make an offer but don't low ball him. I said I wouldn't offer more than $50.00. That is my feelings on the situation based on the machines I've bought in and around this area and from auction sources all over the country.
    And I said the machine is not rare. Which it isn't. Neither is the cabinet.

Perhaps I'm interfering with a forum members sales by my comments .... they can PM me then and we'll discuss it.
    But unless I'm banned from this forum I will state my opinions and comments, just like everybody else.

No offense intended.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    So then I shouldn't post my opinion or tell what I've bought the same exact machine for??????

The CL seller said make an offer but don't low ball him. I said I wouldn't offer more than $50.00. That is my feelings on the situation based on the machines I've bought in and around this area and from auction sources all over the country.
    And I said the machine is not rare. Which it isn't. Neither is the cabinet.

Perhaps I'm interfering with a forum members sales by my comments .... they can PM me then and we'll discuss it.
    But unless I'm banned from this forum I will state my opinions and comments, just like everybody else.

No offense intended.

Joe
    It's ok Joe...

Banned
    It has been my experience that "critiquing" other member's posts is better done in PM than in public forums.... Offering counter opinions makes sense in public, but questioning the validity of a post or opinion would be better served in private.

my .02

Blog Entries
    I'm grumpy - my world has been rocked very hard - sorry

Banned
    well, you are in the right place to "recover" No stress, just opinions being shared.... you do rock Miriam, really really.

Blog Entries
    Not at the moment, Steve.

I have one that looks just like it.
    All it does is sew, forward and backward. I've made most all my quilts on it. I think it will run forever. Just oil it like crazy.

I have a big bunch of ZZ and decorative stitch machines. But I use my SS machines far more often. I suspect that's because the room under the arch of the old SS machines is larger than the fancier ZZ machines. I get claustrophobic with little spaces ........

Miriam did email me. I just lost control of my fingers here.

Miriam, you're not the only one who's grumpy, I'm in the same boat ..... leaking, listing, sinking, and it just keeps raining ....

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I have a big bunch of ZZ and decorative stitch machines. But I use my SS machines far more often. I suspect that's because the room under the arch of the old SS machines is larger than the fancier ZZ machines. I get claustrophobic with little spaces ........

Miriam did email me. I just lost control of my fingers here.

Miriam, you're not the only one who's grumpy, I'm in the same boat ..... leaking, listing, sinking, and it just keeps raining ....

Joe
    Glad to hear you patched things up. You guys are so funny today.

Blog Entries
    It's raining here to - appropriate for the day. Gloom. GGGGRRRRR Joe sent it to me... GGGGGGRRRRRR......

Rain, rain go away, little ( insert name here ) wants to play.

Elaine said she just found a disaster outside. She's been trying to get one yard sale in this year and had things under two easy ups getting read for it. Apparently the rain got in anyway. Now she's frustrated.

Ahhhh, ain't life fun ....... :-)

Looks like a 201 potted with belt. I like the 201 aspect if it is a 201. You can take the wheel off and put a spoke wheel on plus hand crank or put it on a treadle base. I bought one some years ago and used it at first on the treadle and now I have a hand crank on it. The finish does not look that good but it looks like it might possibly have a reverse. Personally I would prefer a gear driven 201. I bought my potted one before I knew better. I now have a gear driven one too. I would not get it if I were you unless you have a specific reason like wanting one in a treadle base or if it was dirt cheap but it doesn't sound like they would give a good deal.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast