Not a sewing machine but.....

Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Not a sewing machine but.....

It is sewing related and is an antique.
I just saw this and was wondering if it was made by Singer. The drawer fronts look like the same pattern as on some treadle cabinets.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/atq/4311009856.html
Neat cabinet.
Rodney
Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Very neat, I could fill that up quickly!

Jp
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 AM
KLO

Do you think some woodworker built that using lonely sewing machine cabinet drawers or was that really something the average person could buy? Oh wait. From the write up it sounds like it was originally a store cabinet, perhaps from a "General Store" from many years ago where everything was sold in one place ... you know, kind of like Wally World of the 30's but not so big and not so China stuff infested. What a great piece that would be to have!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Makes me want to start collecting different treadle drawers and making something like that, though I wouldn't want it that big.

Singer had one cabinet that had a three drawer stack like these. While most drawers have the exterior visible, that style had two solid sided frames that mount to the cabinet and the drawers slide inside so only the front is visible, just like this cabinet.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:41 PM

I honestly can't tell if it's an actual factory cabinet or if someone gathered 40 matching drawers and built it. If it's the same age as the treadle machines I would expect a little more decoration on the cabinet. I'd have to see it in person to be sure.
Rodney
Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM

I have seen a couple of similar items in junk shops around here. I never really gave any thought to it being built by some who collect drawers and put it together. The ones I've see were very pretty and VERY hard to leave in the shop. For some odd reason, I love things with lots of little drawers.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM

My wife likes cabinets with lots of little drawers too. It seems most people do. That cabinet seems high at first but when you look at the $10 to $20 asking price of individual sewing machine drawers on Ebay the price seems more reasonable in comparison. There's a lot of work involved in putting a cabinet like that together.
Rodney
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM

WOW, what a beauty. Learned to sew in Homemaking class in freshman year of HS on an electric machine then came home and sewed on my mom's treadle that had the same drawer fronts.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
It is sewing related and is an antique.
I just saw this and was wondering if it was made by Singer. The drawer fronts look like the same pattern as on some treadle cabinets.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/atq/4311009856.html
Neat cabinet.
Rodney
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM

OMG---I'm sweating and my heart is going "pitter pat"---absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM

I saw something similar on Etsy the other day (while looking for other stuff) and it was 9 drawers (3x3) exact same style drawer, and it looked well made and old and very neat.

And it was newly made - they used an old countertop for the "Top" and it had all the original patina, they did a wonderful job of making it look like it was that way for 50 years! Well, at least in the pictures. I rarely see "repurposed" items that I like, but this was - and mostly because it looked like it was always suppose to be that way.