Oh Gosh we did it again!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Default Oh Gosh we did it again!

Scored a beige 301 off eBay to go with the black one we have. Our daughters will kill us. Their stock reply is "but where are you going to put them all?". We're both 62. Could this be the onset of a hoarding problem? I can see us in a few years with paths through the shelves of machines to get around. I've heard of this being a problem with infomercial purchases. What do you do with all the buttonholer attachments that often come with. Somebody show us your displays we need ideas!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Yay! Good for you!
If you're 62 years old, then you don't need a couple of "moms" telling you what to do! If you want those machines and the power bill is paid, then it's really no one's business!!

I don't really have displays...I have one machine in my living room (a coffin top W&W 8) then my dining room is lined with machines...I have a White Number 8 in there, along with 5 treadles. My sewing room has 3 cabinet e-machines, and I have two others in my bedroom. The portables live where ever they land!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Take those buttonholers and bury them in the back yard. :> Or make really fashionable necklaces out of them or the templates. They are not worth anything and are a pain to find room for. People can't give them away on ebay. I have so many I know they are breeding like rabbits in my drawers.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 AM

Yes, this is the start of a hoarding problem - but ---- do you really care? Enjoy yourselves and the heck with what the daughters say. We are in our mid-70's and have a whole bunch of vintage/antique machines and I sew on every single one of them. I've outgrown the space that I have to keep them in but I continue to look (hoping to find "the very special" one). Hey - they are all special and we keep gathering, cleaning, fixing and sewing on them and enjoying them all. Shove the buttonholer gizmos in a drawer and they will be there for the next lucky owner to worry about. ENJOY! That's what this hobby is all about you know.

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Scored a beige 301 off eBay to go with the black one we have. Our daughters will kill us. Their stock reply is "but where are you going to put them all?". We're both 62. Could this be the onset of a hoarding problem? I can see us in a few years with paths through the shelves of machines to get around. I've heard of this being a problem with infomercial purchases. What do you do with all the buttonholer attachments that often come with. Somebody show us your displays we need ideas!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I don't have a display either. I have a 15-91, a 99, a 1903 127 all in cabinets in the rec room plus my MIL's treadle that we are currently restoring. Upstairs in the sewing room, I have a Spartan in a cabinet, a mocha 301, a black 301 , a centennial 15-91, a Fashion mate, a 15-91, all in cases. In the dining room where I sew, I have a 15-91 and a 201 both in cabinets. I have a centennial 201 in a case and I have the Singer 160. I also have the brother CS6000i and my precious little featherweight. I also have my very first sewing machine which is the Japanese made Universal. I use most of these on a regular basis. I haven't mastered the 1903 as it has the bullet bobbin and of course we are working on the treadle. I just keep thinking I need to get rid of some of these but I just love them all. I find them at estate sales and yard sales at very good prices so they are hard to part with, but I might be considered a "hoarder" in the sewing machine dept.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Golly gee, thanks for asking! Gives me a chance to show off my beautiful machines!
These a just a part of my collection----the kids have asked me to catalog the machines and give what history I have.....
Attached Thumbnails 100_1072.jpg   100_1073.jpg   100_1074.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM

I love your display. Such nice machines and variety. Someone loves angels.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Good for you for enjoying your sewing machine collection hobby. I only have 5 machines but I enjoy them all. I don't drink, smoke or really spend lots of money on myself. I enjoy looking for older machines just for fun. Enjoy them all and congratulations on the 301. I love mine and use it nearly every day.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM

I have 16-17 sewing machines, including a Gammill LA. The only thing I think about when I buy another one or some more fabric is, "Boy, are the kids gonna have fun with all this when I'm gone!!" I think mine think I've lost what little bit was left of my mind but that's okay...I'm having fun! So enjoy yours, no matter what anyone else thinks...!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Besides that, we can buy a machine for a lot less than it costs them to get their hair frosted etc. And theirs will grow off and ours just keep looking pretty. LOL