Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ok so I'm hooked.....but I have a question >

Ok so I'm hooked.....but I have a question

Ok so I'm hooked.....but I have a question

Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Ok so I'm hooked.....but I have a question

First off, a big thank you to all of you for the information on cleaning and restoring vintage machines! I posted a question about my Grandmothers machine and you all were very helpful. I now know that hers is a Singer 66.

So a few weeks ago I spotted a Singer model 27 on Craig's list not far away from me.....of course once I saw the machine it had to come home with me!

the machine and cabinet are in great shape, I have cleaned and oiled the machine and replaced the treadle belt. (The first thing we did was remove the motor).

My my question is around stitch length, the machine had a knob for stitch length regulation but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I turn it. Any ideas? Thus far I have been afraid to take that particular piece of the machine apart.

Thanks in advance for any info
Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

It is not a "sensitive" adjustment. turn it a LOT one way then a LOT the other.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

should not need removal. the only time I've seen one not work, it was the screw below the hand wheel (it secures the mechanism and acts as a pivot if i recall correctly) that was loose.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM

With all their competitors having slide lock, marked stitch length regulators, it's surprising to me that Singer chose the cheap way out.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Power Poster

Give it a drink of Tri-Flow inside and out and then turn that screw a lot but if you take it out you will have a job on your hands.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 AM

Thank you once again! A combination of oiling and turning did the trick. I can now change the length of the stitches. I am amazed at how well she sews....not bad for an old gal of 106! Now I just have to practice using the treadle.

If I can ever figure our how to resize my photos I will post pictures of this one and my Grandmothers Singer 66

thanks again!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 AM

Welcome aboard Ivey, I love my 66 though I currently have it stored away. No room for all of my machines in the living room, especially the cabinet machines.
I use a free download called Pixresizer. If you use photobucket you can also resize them there.
Rodney
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 AM

You guys are amazing! No matter what type of question someone has; you always have an answer. I have my Mom's old treadle in the basement, on a pallet and covered up to protect it. I wish I had the room to have it on my main floor and use it, but that isn't possible.