old machines

Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If you place a value on your time: No.
Let's say you start with a $20 thrift store machine that looks like it's decent but average. You get it home, spend 2 hours cleaning it and checking it out, then spend another $10 on a belt and bobbin tire. At this point you have $30 invested not including gas or cleaning materials. You might be lucky to get $50 for the machine afterward. Yes, you made $20 at that point but how much effort did you put into it?
You can make some money sometimes if you luck into a machine that has a higher resale value than average but mostly people who flip machines do it because they love playing with them. It gives them a chance to mess with more machines than otherwise and maybe even cover some of the costs of their hobby.
As far as making money, you're better of working at McDonald's.
Rodney
Well said. This has been my experience as well. I buy them because I love them, sometimes I sell one to make room for two more and the one I sell makes just enough to cover parts needed for the new babies.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 AM

Thanks to all who replied. You have given me something to think about.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I see old machines up for sale all the time. Who buys these machines? Is it worth my time and efford to clean them up and resale them?
Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
Depends on the machine and how much you can buy them for. Since you are in Indiana, I would probably say no, though, according to what I've read from Miriam.
You better be doing it for the love of it...
Old 01-11-2015, 06:05 AM

Who buys them? Well, I'll bet most of us on this site have bought a lot of them!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If you place a value on your time: No.
Let's say you start with a $20 thrift store machine that looks like it's decent but average. You get it home, spend 2 hours cleaning it and checking it out, then spend another $10 on a belt and bobbin tire. At this point you have $30 invested not including gas or cleaning materials. You might be lucky to get $50 for the machine afterward. Yes, you made $20 at that point but how much effort did you put into it?
You can make some money sometimes if you luck into a machine that has a higher resale value than average but mostly people who flip machines do it because they love playing with them. It gives them a chance to mess with more machines than otherwise and maybe even cover some of the costs of their hobby.
As far as making money, you're better of working at McDonald's.
Rodney
I totally agree. I use my SMA as a hobby. Sometimes I find machines in really good condition and I sell them for more than I paid for them but that doesn't happen very often. I tinker with these machines to keep my brain actively working along with my jigsaw puzzle addiction, hoping in the long run to avoid alzheimers disease. I do not expect to get rich or even have a small income from this hobby. I have on occasion purchased a sought-after model at an estate sale and after a little cleaning and maintenance have sold it for quite a bit more than I purchased it for but these situations are very rare
Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK,

I figure old is at least 50 years old. Ancient is 75 or older and antique is 100 years and older.

Joe
By this standard, I'm well past old and approaching ancient...
Old 01-11-2015, 08:58 AM

I’m more into Vintage Sewing Machines for pedaling them than I am for peddling them.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-11-2015, 01:02 PM

On the average, I don't even find that flipping the odd machine even pays for itself or frees up any cash. Typically something else comes up around the same time that I want and uses up all of what I "made" on the machine I flipped which means I just paid for the parts on the machine I flipped out of my pocket.

The other thing I noticed no one has mentioned is that rarely is a flip sale a fast one. You either have to show them how to use the machine - an hour with questions - or a couple of hours while they decide on a machine then want you to teach them to sew.

The only way I've made anything is selling parts and quilting accessories and servicing other people's machines.
OH! And speaking and teaching.