Old sewing machine?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM

I have an old "Minnesota -A" treadle sewing machine I have inherited. It needs some work - cleaning -new belts and the cabinet needs re-finishing. this is not a singer - but a similar style made for Sears.
My question is ..is anyone familiar with this model? do you think it would be worth restoring and any ideas about the investment? My husband and I can do some of the work ourselves..but it is worth our time?
I don't have pictures -sorry. lost my camera and a years worth of grandbaby pictures -so haven't gotten a new one yet - too traumatic!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM

I would go to the tutorials section and look for cleaning vintage machines #1-2-and 3.
Billy can give you a good idea on what it is if you can get a pic or two to post. He's a pretty smart cookie.
Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
I would go to the tutorials section and look for cleaning vintage machines #1-2-and 3.
Billy can give you a good idea on what it is if you can get a pic or two to post. He's a pretty smart cookie.
Good Luck.
I was going to say the same thing Billy will be able to help you.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Great minds think alike!!!! :wink:
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM

thanks you all so much. I have found the tutorials - and bookmarked them. They are great, will show them to hubby!. Also the web site with the lady who has a book on using treadles. Have to go now, but will ask my DDIL to use her digital camera. hope it's not hard to post pictures - I have not done that before. LOL!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Worth your time is subjective. :D I would say yes but love these machines. The Minnesota machines were made by several manufacturers for Sears. But as far as I know they are good machines. Get it running and see how you like a treadle. I am sure you will catch the bug also! :D :D :D
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Worth your time is subjective. :D I would say yes but love these machines. The Minnesota machines were made by several manufacturers for Sears. But as far as I know they are good machines. Get it running and see how you like a treadle. I am sure you will catch the bug also! :D :D :D
Thanks , as I have read more about these machines I am getting more excited in trying it. I told my DH about the tutorials and he is interested in looking at it, so i think we're going to do it! Now where we'll put it???? That's another problem....
Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by martyr
Thanks , as I have read more about these machines I am getting more excited in trying it. I told my DH about the tutorials and he is interested in looking at it, so i think we're going to do it! Now where we'll put it???? That's another problem....
That is the next thing you will be having to deal with. Treadles are like potato chips you cant stop with one!!

Billy
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM

There is also a website for treadle machines that has a lot of good information. http://www.treadleon.net/