Omega sewing machine

Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Omega sewing machine

Hi everyone I bought a Omgea machine from a nice women who can no longer use it. it's about 50 years old? it has a little platform to put on it as the sewing table really cool. anyway was running ok but now and again I get a loud screech I;m on Disability Not something I can just take in to get fixed as the cash on hand isn't so easy to come by. Any of you experienced quilter got any idea's what I can do? I have opened it up oiled it all over just dont know what to do short of seeing a repair man (I call him @$70.00 hour) he's got to be put off.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

my guesses for the source...

1. Belt tension
2. motor needs grease (NOT oil)
Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

1. Belt tension
Why? Does an Omega have grease tubes? The only machines I know of that have grease tubes are some Singers & Whites. All my Kenmores & MW machines have OIL holes at both ends of the motor....
Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM

A lot of vintage sewing machines have gears...metal gears that use grease not oil. A few of my machines have actual grease pots, and the motors also use grease not oil. Lots of people like to use three different types of oil/grease for their machines depending on what they need. All three are in my arsenal including tri flow that has Teflon for even more applications.

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 04-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Of course, you use grease on the gears (on gears, filling gear boxes, etc.) BUT most of my sewing machine motors have OIL holes at each side. Other than some Singers & Whites that have grease tubes on the motors, I've not seen another motor that takes grease. If a motor takes grease, there will be grease tubes. I can't think of any machine made mid-60's or later that has grease tubes....with the exception of the later Featherweights. And I've been sewing for over 50 years & fixing/refurbishing machines for about 30 years....
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Steve,

As Path49 said most sewing machine motors use oil. And as a general rule all Singer motors use grease.

Are we still on for me to pick up the machine tomorrow night??? And drool on you newest treasure?

Cathy

1. Belt tension
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Steve,

As Path49 said most sewing machine motors use oil. And as a general rule all Singer motors use grease.

Are we still on for me to pick up the machine tomorrow night??? And drool on you newest treasure?

Cathy
Well then, serves me right... a Victorian Sewing person speaking about those new fangled electro-whatcha whosits.... (Thanks, new knowledge stored...)

Yes ma'am.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 PM

I am just thrilled at the help from all of you I'll look again inside if it has grease tubes are they fill able? can I use any kind of grease just from the auto shop?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Deb,

Use only sewing machine lube or Vaseline for the motor. Other grease product can be used on the gears.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Debthequilter View Post
I am just thrilled at the help from all of you I'll look again inside if it has grease tubes are they fill able? can I use any kind of grease just from the auto shop?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:52 AM

Well then, serves me right... a Victorian Sewing person speaking about those new fangled electro-whatcha whosits....
are those Victorian words?