painting an older machine?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 AM

Default painting an older machine?

I think this is something I'd enjoy doing. I can't say I've ever really done anything like that before, but I like doing detailed stuff and having awesome results. So I'm thinking about - should I find one - getting an older machine just to strip the paint off and paint it a shocking color and maybe putting some non-traditional decals on it. Think motorcycle tanks.... Um, I've done a little googling and I haven't seen anything like what I have in my head, but that doesn't mean it's an original idea. I've seen red machines and pink machines, etc, and I get all googly-eyed looking at them. However, if I do this, am I going to get tsk-tsk'ed from the sewing-machine-police?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 AM

You have seen other machines done in colors so that means other people are doing them. Go for it. I would not try doing anything to a great machine with great decals. Find an old plain Jane that the finish is gone or just about gone with bad decals or no decals.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 AM

AshleyR,

I have a perfect candidate for a repaint right now. My newly acquired New Home. The bed is really bad as you can see in the pics. This one really needs a repaint. I've no idea where to get New Home decals or even if they are available. But I'm looking. I've never painted a sewing machine either, but what the heck. I sure can't hurt it much more than the water and mice did.

Oh, there are no sewing machine police allowed here. We make them stay at Yahoo.

Joe
Old 05-02-2012, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
AshleyR,

Oh, there are no sewing machine police allowed here. We make them stay at Yahoo.

Joe
Hahaha. I do appreciate the Yahoo groups but I am always sort of nervous when I post anything in case I get my hand slapped for unintentionally breaking one of the "rules"!!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 AM

Dave McCallum has some directions for repainting a "dog" (his words ) in his book "The Featherweight 221 and I". He gives a couple of different methods.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 AM

I'd say go for it! I'm in the process of repainting my 201-2 right now, and it was a hard decision whether or not to go for traditional black or hotrod red. I think if I ever get another sad vintage that has no hope I might go for the hotrod red, but if you're up to the challenge I'd say to go for it and never look back.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 AM

Hey Ashley, I would love to find one I can paint purple, so I have been on the look out. I say go for it. Machine police, who the heck are they, LOL About like quilt police, I just don't give a rip what they think. Pics when your done please.
Hows that dogwood quilt coming along. Haven't started mine to busy building my house.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 AM

Go for it. I agree with Valleyquiltermo about the quilt police. I wanted to have my featherweight painted the color of my two red cars and they went crazy on me. Since you like the idea do it. I say a FW with flames on it yesterday on EBAY. Looked great. Please post a picture when it's done.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM

Hmm.. I have a Brother XL-3022 that I rescued. It's dirty and is missing the bobbin stuff, but I'm hoping I can salvage those parts from the Kenmore door stop. They're very badly rusted, but I haven't really tried to clean them yet. Anyway.... I was thinking about the "sewing machine painting" on the way into work this morning, and I thought, a-ha! Why not try it on that Brother? There's nothing "wrong" with the way it looks, but how much cooler would it be in lipstick red or heck, even glitter? I'm sure it won't be as collectible as an old metal machine would be, but maybe some "young whippersnapper" might like it and inspired to start sewing?

So I'm thinking about sanding it a little and using the "for-plastic" spray paint. I'm thinking this would be an easier (and cheaper) project, and if I mess it up, well, I'm out $5 for the paint and $7 for the sewing machine and have learned a lesson.

I thought about purple, but all I see in my head are those Singer Pixie machines or whatever those are. I'm also thinking about orange, for some reason. I'm not a fan of the color orange, and I'm afraid if I painted something, it would look like day-glo warning paint. I'll have to see what kind of paint I find and see if any of them talk to me. Plus the stuff that is on the machine already that I can't paint over is an aqua, so it has to not clash with that!

I might have to check out that Pinterest website I'm hearing so much about!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
Hey Ashley, I would love to find one I can paint purple, so I have been on the look out. I say go for it. Machine police, who the heck are they, LOL About like quilt police, I just don't give a rip what they think. Pics when your done please.
Hows that dogwood quilt coming along. Haven't started mine to busy building my house.
They are the same people who cry "Foul!" when someone makes a tractor model out of an old machine!

I am 85% done with that quilt. You know the bunches of blossoms that are in the border (for lack of a better word)? That's all I have left, is quilting them and the border. The middle is done (yay!) but I didn't baste it well enough, and the batting is getting bunchy in the parts that's not quilted yet. There is one spot that I really screwed it up, but there wasn't anything I could do but rip it all out or keep going. Guess which one I did! I think I have a pic of it on my Facebook, I'll try to post it on the Board later.