Parting out a machine

Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Default Parting out a machine

I've bought several machines that, for various reasons, I'm not interested in refurbishing. Some are as new as a Touch and Sew and as old as an old refurbished 66 from WW11 that I bought to get the cabinet. They aren't all Singers, but most all are from the 70's or before.

What do you save and what do you toss?

bk
Old 08-29-2016, 04:45 PM

I see people part up machines and sell bit by bit on fleabay. If the machines are fairly intact they could be sold, given to someone interested or taken into a chairty / second hand store. You can be sure someone out there is looking for exactly the machine or part you have, it's all about reaching the right person.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

I won't part out a machine unless it's broken beyond repair. There are too many people any more on Ebay and other sites who part out working machines just because it makes more money than trying to sell them whole. You can justify it by saying there's plenty of them around, but in 10, or 20, or 30 years what then? There won't be plenty of them around any more because too many fixable machines were parted out.
I've given several machines away in the last year that I no longer had any interest in.

Cari
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 PM

We've parted out a few machines. People don't want the internal stuff, they want the stuff on the outside that's easy to replace. Bobbin cases, needle plates, presser feet, thread guides, needle bar clamp, the hook, tension assembly, knobs, etc. The problem is that they want the part that's broken on your machine, because that's what's broken on their machine.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 PM

Check the completed and sold listing on ebay. For a Singer 66 search under "Singer 66 Sewing Machine Parts". The parts help out a lot of folks.

Jon
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM

sell/donate/gift to someone you know will want it/ use it/ care for it. Dissecting and harvesting for parts seems cruel.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 AM

I suppose that I'm just a capitalist at heart, but I'd like to recoup some of my investment. Besides that, no one wants an old Touch and Sew. I'm gifting 3 or 4 if them that are in decent shape (these have cases) to the 5th grade TAG teachers at the local elementary schools for their quilting projects.

In real life, who actually wants an old Kenmore that they have to find a needle plate for (except an old sewing machine nut like us and there's not that many of us)? Unless they are going to part it out, that is. Most of these are just machine heads with no cases or cabinets and are in less than perfect cosmetic condition.

I should not have bought them, but they looked better in the photos than they do in real life. It was a beginner mistake. I learned a lesson, though. I won't buy any more machines without actually seeing them.

bk
Old 08-30-2016, 05:52 AM

I have taken old ugly machines and worked and worked and now they shine and smile at me. I have 33 and can't think of a one I want to get rid of. My original that DH bought me when I was very young is a Touch and Sew. I still go to it for my sewing. But I have taken very good care of it too. Someone will want your machines to refurbish. Sears still sell old parts for old Kenmores. I have several and am just waiting on 3 parts for a pretty machine. Sears are reasonable on their old parts too.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 AM

The Touch & Sew series has their supporters, but in the vintage category the most sought after models tends to be sort of pre mid sixites. There are exceptions and not all Touch & Sews are equal. Some of the older Kenmore models are very nice and regarded. The design and solid build makes them noteworthy. There's a difference between the American made ones and the later (I think Kenmore was one of those brands bough up by Japanese Brother or Janome, something like that). Apparently some were made i Germany? ...on further reading up on Kenmore, they seem to have been made by White before turning Japanese. You just have to check the origins of your Kenmores ;- ) A bobbin plate is a minor thing if the rest in nice. If you clean, oil, and track down missing parts, they are much easier to sell. Making a profit isn't easy, but its' rarely a loss. A fully serviced vintage machine, wires check and running fine usually sells rather quickly.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-30-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Nothing should ever be tossed. I would sell the parts on eBay. I recently took a chance when I saw a Bernina 1230 for sale at a resale shop for $24.99 and I knew if it didn't work, I could sell some of the parts and recoup my investment.