Pfaff 130

Old 09-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Default Pfaff 130

I was able to buy a Pfaff 130 with the original sewing table at a garage sale yesterday. The price was $30 which I think was pretty good. It is dirty and needs a new belt for sure; I need suggestion of the best way or solution to clean the machine. My "go to" sewing repair man just recently retired, so I will do what I can on my own.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:19 PM

I just found the link for cleaning vintage machine and will look at those, but any other advice anyone has will be welcomed. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:27 PM

Congrats on your new machine, have fun working with it, show us a pic. We love pics.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:39 AM

That is a great buy tons of info on the net..make sure to check You tube too..they are a really strong machine..mine is electric with the coffee grinder etc..you will LOVE it-
Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM

Don't get any oil on the cleated fabric belt underneath the machine. Join the Yahoo groups: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/oldpfaffpforum/info or https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Pfaff_fixit/info

Both are great for getting information on how to clean and use your Pfaff.
Sharon in Texas
Old 09-21-2015, 02:38 PM

I would not use line seed oil on the paint unless it's in very bad and damanged condition. I've seen the thread on how to revive a machine in very bad condition and the result is very impressive. I would however start gently to clean with sewing machine oil or microfiber cloths wringed up in lukewarm water, just slightly damp, like straight from the spin cycle in the washing machine. Shellac can take this treatment with out being affected, the exception is if it's very flaky and damaged to begin with. Dirt is luckily not that bad or worrysome.

Edible oils, like plant oils and waxes oxidates, it makes the shellac deteriorate faster decades down the road. To prevent this oxidation it's suppose to be better to use resin based car wax, and mineral based furniture wax made for antique polishes. This is advice from a conservationalist point if view, with the idea that these machines should hopefuly be in as good or better condition when we hand them over to the next owner as we recieve them our selves. It's amazing how long these cast iron machines with hardened steel gears can last.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-21-2015 at 02:49 PM.