Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pressor Foot stuck on Singer 201 >

Pressor Foot stuck on Singer 201

Pressor Foot stuck on Singer 201

Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Leonf- it's the piece right above the presser foot lever that is just stuck like you wouldn't believe. I put everything back together. STill nothing
Yeah, it looks like a rectangle made out of cast iron. It's not the piece with the coil
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Wow, maybe I need to take reading 101 again. I keep missing the key points. I thought you meant the needle was stuck.

If the presser foot lifter moves and the presser foot doesn't, you'll have to figure out what is disconnected or broken. If neither will move, then it's probably just stuck. If you have an amber colored film in that area, then it's probably old dried up oil. Someone may have used some WD 40 on it or something like that that left a lot of residue. That brings us back to cleaning, oil and heat. The heat will soften up the gunk, the oil will dilute it and your lever should move.

I just spent about 2 weeks on a 401 that I couldn't get to move (in this case, zigzag). I re-cleaned and re-oiled it numerous times. It eventually moved and runs fine now.

bk
bkay- I need more than reading 101 haha!
No, it's the lever that you pull the presser foot up or down that is stuck in the down position. The cast iron piece above the lever seems to be the problem. Oiling and trying to be patient here- too much to ask lol
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
bkay, I thought you were a bit confused. OK we all do it.

SusieQ Just to make sure, you have the knurled knob off, the coil spring off the rod and the curved yellow marked piece is off too.? The brown rectangle marked piece that is attached to the rod isn't moving? [ATTACH=CONFIG]577893[/ATTACH]
No, it's not the rod piece, although that doesn't move either. It's the rectangle directly above the lever that won't move.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:00 PM

The rectangular bit on the 201 is solidly tightened to the round presser bar (the rod piece), and should move up and down with the rod. I'm guessing you need to keep on oiling all the points there; take of the shiny screw on top of the machine add oil down there; be careful not to misplace the small washer on top of the spring. Make sure oil seeps down the black cast iron part of the body where the metal rod (should) move up and down. There should be oil on the back side of the presser bar lever too, it pushes the rectagular bit up, and needs a bit of oil to move it smoothly.

You should with a bit of force be able to grab the presser foot and push the bar up; if you can't do this when the presser bar tension screw is loosened it's stuck. The square bit needs oil too, just add oil to the cut out groove in the back of the machine, where the presser foot moves up and down. It can gum up to by dirt and grime, but it's usually the part the rods moves up and down in that needs particular attention.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
The rectangular bit on the 201 is solidly tightened to the round presser bar (the rod piece), and should move up and down with the rod. I'm guessing you need to keep on oiling all the points there; take of the shiny screw on top of the machine add oil down there; be careful not to misplace the small washer on top of the spring. Make sure oil seeps down the black cast iron part of the body where the metal rod (should) move up and down. There should be oil on the back side of the presser bar lever too, it pushes the rectagular bit up, and needs a bit of oil to move it smoothly.

You should with a bit of force be able to grab the presser foot and push the bar up; if you can't do this when the presser bar tension screw is loosened it's stuck. The square bit needs oil too, just add oil to the cut out groove in the back of the machine, where the presser foot moves up and down. It can gum up to by dirt and grime, but it's usually the part the rods moves up and down in that needs particular attention.
Hi Mickey2- I just realized that the rectangle piece is attached to metal rod. I got out a flashlight and saw it!! Thanks so much.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Dirty machine , but at least it is a 201 Mickey2 is correct.[ATTACH=CONFIG]577938[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577939[/ATTACH]This is the goal.
Attached Thumbnails 201-presser-bar-down-b.jpg   201-presser-bar-up-b.jpg  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it sure is. I'm finally at least understanding exactly what is stuck. I appreciate all your help