Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pressure Bar Wiggle Breaking Needles >

Pressure Bar Wiggle Breaking Needles

Pressure Bar Wiggle Breaking Needles

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Pressure Bar Wiggle Breaking Needles

Posted this ob the main board and was adives to post it here also.

Is there a way to tighten a pressure bar on vintage machines? I have a 117-959 Kenmore made in either 1947 or 1948. The pressure bar wiggles a little from left to right causing the needle to hit the then misaligned foot thus breaking the needle. Just wondering if there is a way to fix this easily or not.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM

I am not sure but someone will chime in I am sure. I cannot imagine that the pressure bar can move from side to side. Are you sure the foot is fastened tight? I would take the foot off and see if the bar itself is moving or if it is just the foot.

Sorry not much help.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:04 PM

When I grab the pressure bar itself, above the foot, and wiggle it moves right and left. It moves enough so that when I sew thicker fabric or quilt layers it moves out of position and the needle hits the foot causing breakage. I took it all apart to check it out and there is no tightening screw or anything to make it more solid. May have to toss the machine as I don't think this is fixable. I hate to do that because it is in it's original table and is wired for only this machine. All wires are attached to the cabinet.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Some times the best of us end up with a machine for parts - you might be able to find a Japanese 15 clone of a Singer 15 that will fit your table and the electric - too bad you don't live down the road - we could try one out. Too bad shipping would cost more than the machine. There is a lot of info on QB about the 15 clones and I will be posting more in a while. I don't know how good you are at searching but if you go to the top of this page there is a search place - type in Japanese 15 clone and see what you find. Here is a start. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html fortunately the 15 clones are fairly inexpensive. They are a nice straight stitch machine. People love them for FM.