Prices of older machines -

Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Default Prices of older machines -

I have been watching e-bay and Craigslist for the asking price of older machines.

I think the sellers have caught on that there is value in some of these older machines and the asking prices are reflecting that.

(There are exceptions, but the model I am watching is a Singer 237)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Probably. I have been looking at a CD from a movie and was surprise on Amazon they dropped the price. eBay is a big garage sale. Buyers want bargains and the seller wants to get as much as possible for their item.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Banned

Yeah, the 237 has been gaining in popularity over the last couple years due to its' stellar satin stitch and the fact that it can be treadled easily. I've noticed the increase in asking price for it every where.

Cari
Old 10-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 237 is one of my favorite machines. Are there any other models that are comparable to the 237?

(I was not going to get infected with the machine collecting bug - but - - - - - I think I am starting to have some of the symptoms.)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Are there any other models that are comparable to the 237?
The Singer 401/403 and 500/503 are well-built machines with zigzag and decorative stitches. A sewing machine mechanic that I know prefers these over the 237 because they can be adjusted in ways the 237 cannot. Others here can confirm or refute this; it's out of my realm.

The Kenmores with the 158 serial number prefix are Japanese-made, and they're excellent, solid machines. Their motors tend to have a bit more zip than the Singers. They're well worth $200 or more, but can often be found for a fraction of that price. I avoided Kenmore for years because I had a negative association with Sears. Now I'm a convert; the post-war, pre-plastic-gear Kennies are hard to beat.

Last edited by Manalto; 10-08-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 AM

Used machine will alway very a lot in prices. Some want a lot for their stuff, others want a quick sale. Markeds vary a lot from place to place, and person to person. On ebay there have been the most out of proportion prices for years, as well as bargains. I like that though, someone who needs a good machine and can't afford to spend a lot, can get one with a bit of time and search. Those who can afford a bit more, can get a serviced vintage machine right away. I like the bargains though, half the fun is cleaning and fixing them up :- )
Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Used machine will alway very a lot in prices. Some want a lot for their stuff, others want a quick sale. Markeds vary a lot from place to place, and person to person. On ebay there have been the most out of proportion prices for years, as well as bargains. I like that though, someone who needs a good machine and can't afford to spend a lot, can get one with a bit of time and search. Those who can afford a bit more, can get a serviced vintage machine right away. I like the bargains though, half the fun is cleaning and fixing them up :- )
I second this. I am on a holding pattern now because we are trying to sell our house, but, the new house has plenty of room for the "relics" meaning vintage machines in need of cleaning up. I'll be back at it soon I hope.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have been watching e-bay and Craigslist for the asking price of older machines.
asking price has little bearing on getting price. You can look at a couple weeks of completed listings on ebay, but there isn't any way to know on Craigslist if something sold or if they accepted a lower offer. And of course condition is everything. Buying cheap and then spending a week bring it up to speed...what is a week's wages worth?

Best wishers on finding your dream machine!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM

The prices for older machines on my local Craig's List are just ridiculous, $100-350; often the condition is very bad.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The prices for older machines on my local Craig's List are just ridiculous, $100-350; often the condition is very bad.
Sharon in Texas
On the other hand, good machines in pristine condition for $40 are ridiculously cheap for what you're getting, and worth considerably more than the price they're asking for those clunkers you're finding on Craigslist. Keep looking, one will pop up eventually.