Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1940 15-91 Full Restoration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1940-15-91-full-restoration-t295464.html)

bkay 04-05-2018 03:29 PM

I keep checking back.

bkay

ngen33r 04-30-2018 06:16 AM

I spent all weekend polishing and cleaning the small parts. I will post a picture tonight. This is definitely time consuming. I still have not sprayed the paint on the casting. I needed to do some research first to make sure etching primer would not be an issue.

bkay 04-30-2018 06:38 AM

Thanks for the update. I subscribed to the thread, so I know when you post. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

bkay

Mickey2 04-30-2018 11:59 AM

It's a bit late now, but some polished are very effective on the shiny parts; needle and presser bar shine up like new with something called Quick-Glo, in just a few minutes with hands, a cotton rag dipped in a bit of the paste; rust, grime and tarnish comes very effectively. Paste type polishes seem to be more effective than thinner liquids, at least the stuff I have tried. Pol and Autosol work well too, I'm sure there are several, and it's worth tracking down the brands that work well for steel and chrome. I have yet to pick a machine completely appart, I hope to avoid it, but once off I guess the cast iron rods and hinges clean up much easier too.

Treadle&Gears 04-30-2018 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 8050228)
Paste type polishes seem to be more effective than thinner liquids

I also like pastes better. I use Mother's. It's a lightweight paste and it works very well on dark splotches and that whitish hazy film on plates and flywheels.

ngen33r 06-20-2018 05:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I have been super busy with a ton of projects. Here are the updates I promised. The Machine body has been sprayed with 3 coats of etching primer. This was allowed to cure and off-gas. The next step is to lightly smooth with 000 steel wool and then fill in any casting voids with a quality 2 part filler. After that it will be primed. I am using Krylon products for the paint as that is what I can get locally. I did not mask any of the areas on the machine. I will use a Dremel with a wire brush to remove the paint from the areas that need to be bare metal. This ensures total coverage of any exposed areas. and a much cleaner look when completed. It is an extra step, but I am not in a hurry.

Darcyshannon 06-26-2018 08:26 AM

It will be nice to see its progress. Makes me appreciate the work that went into my old machines

givio 07-08-2018 02:51 PM

ngen33r, Thanks for sharing. Very interesting pictures and read.

ngen33r 09-05-2019 05:01 AM

It has been some time since I have worked on this but this week, I am going to prep the base for paint.

Lurline 01-06-2020 06:30 AM

About how much "help" did you need to drive the pins out? I can get the pin out on one of my 15-91s but not on the other. We did check for a taper. Just curious how much convincing you wound up using on your machine. Thank you.