Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   301 discussion thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/301-discussion-thread-t168818.html)

Candace 12-14-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble (Post 4780081)
I was adding borders yesterday (or trying to), my 301 would stitch fine for about an inch and then is it would slow way down and the stitches would get very small. Ended up switching out machines.
I have not used the 301 much since getting it this summer. Is there something I can check on, I don't want to have to pay for a repair at this time.

Have you oiled it since you've gotten it? What about cleaning out the feed dog area?

Linkbeth 12-14-2011 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=brushandthimble;4780081] then is it would slow way down and the stitches would get very small.
Is there something I can check on?
Hi, this may sound very simple, but it's happened to me in the past, re-thread your machine, making sure the thread is not 'hung' up on a thread guide, or getting 'stuck' somewhere..also check your bobbin thread if it is feeding free without any hang ups..hope this helps..keep us posted..

greenini 12-14-2011 07:55 AM

I did an awful. Yesterday I broke a needle while trying FMQ and I'm pretty sure I knocked the timing out and I'm getting quotes of minimum$60...anybody retimed their own machine? I'm headed to the vintage shop also but since this thread is here, thought I'd try here first. Am really bummed out....

irishrose 12-14-2011 09:05 AM

brushandthimble, I would oil and grease the machine completely - have you taken the top off and soaked everything? I had to stand mine on one end and sew with it in that position to force oil under one part that used to groan. Have you taken the bottom off and oiled everything, too? The grease ports are listed in the book. I have had the problem you're having when thread got caught on the notch in a Coats & Clark thread spool.

greenini, something like that is my biggest fear with this machine. That's why I'm looking for a back up. I'm sure someone on the vintage thread can help you.

Candace 12-14-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by greenini (Post 4780720)
I did an awful. Yesterday I broke a needle while trying FMQ and I'm pretty sure I knocked the timing out and I'm getting quotes of minimum$60...anybody retimed their own machine? I'm headed to the vintage shop also but since this thread is here, thought I'd try here first. Am really bummed out....

The 301 is the EASIEST machine to retime (IMO). I've retimed 3 or 4 of them. Please don't spend $60 to do it! Are you sure it needs retiming? Does the new needle hit the bobbin case?

greenini 12-14-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4780940)
The 301 is the EASIEST machine to retime (IMO). I've retimed 3 or 4 of them. Please don't spend $60 to do it! Are you sure it needs retiming? Does the new needle hit the bobbin case?

yes it does! do you think you could walk me thru it or direct me to a site? i have spent the rest of the time since i posted that message trying to find how to do it/looking for a repair manual on line and no luck...lots of junk/dead links etc. it doesn't look too hard, but i can't figure out how to take the hook off (do I need to?) help please....

miriam 12-14-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by greenini (Post 4780720)

What machine is it?

greenini 12-14-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4781176)
What machine is it?

Miriam, it's my 301, I was practicing FMQ with the foot off, broke a needle and now I'm hitting metal. I've looked at all the timing things and I get about the hook and the scarf and all that, but how do I get to it? All I can do is get the bobbin out. DO I need to take the bottom of the machine off to get to the screw from underneath or do I need to take off the bobbin case and if so how? All help appreciated....

Candace 12-14-2011 12:47 PM

Yes, I'd be happy to walk you through it. I have 4 of these machines, so I know them very well. When you say it's hitting metal. Do you mean it's hitting the bobbin assembly OR hitting the metal feed plate cover.

Also, when you say you were practicing FMQ with the foot off... you didn't have a FMQ/darning foot on?

miriam 12-14-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4781369)
Yes, I'd be happy to walk you through it. I have 4 of these machines, so I know them very well. When you say it's hitting metal. Do you mean it's hitting the bobbin assembly OR hitting the metal feed plate cover.

Also, when you say you were practicing FMQ with the foot off... you didn't have a FMQ/darning foot on?

Candace has bailed me out before - you are in good hands!!! Is a needle piece stuck in there?