Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   301 discussion thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/301-discussion-thread-t168818.html)

BarbaraSue 12-02-2011 08:27 PM

I love my 301. She just sews so easily. And so quietly. And I've sewn in different places with her because she is light, and basically unbreakable.
The only "problem" I have is my CAT thinks she's his new toy. For some reason he wants the thread that is on her more so than on any other machine.

irishrose 12-02-2011 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 (Post 4733726)
How do I learn to refurbish this machine. I recieved mine today it seems to be in poor shape. There is thread wrapped under the bobbin case and the bobbin was rusted into the case for starters so I did not try to thread and sew. it does run well . Very dirty but that is an easy fix, I guess I need to start from scratch and get this machine in good shape.

Do you have a manual? There are good cleaning directions in it, including a picture of putting the little pointy thingy back in the correct position when you replace the bobbin assembly. I downloaded mine free from sew- classic. The machine is well worth working on. I purchased a new bobbin winder tire and tension spring from april1930sshoppe. I haven't replaced the spring yet.

irishrose 12-02-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Linkbeth (Post 4724827)
Hi, has anyone used the Singer ZigZager attachment for the 301? Would like some input before getting it. Thanks much..

Make sure it's a slant needle attachment.

To answer the question about why a 301 is better than a 99 for quilting, the slant needle makes everything so visible. When I sew on my Elna I feel like my vision is obstructed since having the 301. I especially like to see what I'm doing when FMQ.

thepolyparrot 12-03-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Linkbeth (Post 4724827)
Hi, has anyone used the Singer ZigZager attachment for the 301? Would like some input before getting it. Thanks much..

These and the blind stitch hemmer are interesting little toys, but it is very difficult to get consistent results on normal sewing projects.

They do well on buckram. :D If you really want one, I don't blame you - I try to make sure that all of my vintage machines have their own full kit of all the "stuff" that goes with them - even the things like this that are better in theory than in actual use. ;) If you starch the heck out of a piece of cloth or stiffen it with water-soluble stabilizer, you might get it working.

They're cheap entertainment. :) I would rely on my zig-zag machines for decorative stitching, though.

The mechanical buttonholer is another story entirely - it produces beautiful buttonholes that resemble the handmade ones made by a fine tailor.

miriam 12-03-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot (Post 4747023)
These and the blind stitch hemmer are interesting little toys, but it is very difficult to get consistent results on normal sewing projects.

They do well on buckram. :D If you really want one, I don't blame you - I try to make sure that all of my vintage machines have their own full kit of all the "stuff" that goes with them - even the things like this that are better in theory than in actual use. ;) If you starch the heck out of a piece of cloth or stiffen it with water-soluble stabilizer, you might get it working.

They're cheap entertainment. :) I would rely on my zig-zag machines for decorative stitching, though.

The mechanical buttonholer is another story entirely - it produces beautiful buttonholes that resemble the handmade ones made by a fine tailor.

Your blind stitcher might need a bit of oil dropped on it.

greenini 12-03-2011 12:53 PM

hey, Miriam, i know you know a ton about antique machines. I need to rewire my 301 and have lost the message in the change over about what size lamp cord to use. Is it 17? thanks

quiltingcurious 12-03-2011 02:18 PM

thank you.

miriam 12-03-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by greenini (Post 4747627)
hey, Miriam, i know you know a ton about antique machines. I need to rewire my 301 and have lost the message in the change over about what size lamp cord to use. Is it 17? thanks

you get the wires at Sew Classic - you might check on that site for wire size

greenini 12-03-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4748260)
you get the wires at Sew Classic - you might check on that site for wire size

Thanks, I just looked at the wiring for the 301 that one is ok. I have one 15-91 that we are concerned about, the one from the same guy we bought the 301 from (he insisted we buy both who knows why?, but I got both for about $120 bucks, so what if I wound up with an extra 15-91?), we trust the wiring on that one. So I'm down to one rewire job from 3!!:)

miriam 12-03-2011 05:10 PM

gotta love those 15s. They are so simple and turn so free.