Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   99 Repainted with decals. Almost done! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/99-repainted-decals-almost-done-t229598.html)

mamajack3 09-06-2013 12:44 PM

Too cool can't wait to see it all put back together. I such a coward but reallt want to do one of mine.

ggenovez 09-06-2013 01:02 PM

That is incredible!

How long did it take your to do this?

did you sandblast the old paint off or use paint stripper?

How did you make the decals...

Briarberry 09-06-2013 05:28 PM

Now, that is one awesome looking machine. I love it.

Cecilia S. 09-06-2013 05:36 PM

Candace, that is so excellent. Very artfully done, the decals. You have a gift!

Candace 09-06-2013 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ggenovez (Post 6277751)
That is incredible!

How long did it take your to do this?

did you sandblast the old paint off or use paint stripper?

How did you make the decals...

I used chemicals to remove all the paint first. Next time I won't do this. It took way too long. The water slide decals I made with software to resize clipart and then carefully cut out and apply. I lost track of the hours involved. if I had to guess, I would say probably about 20-25 hours of work and I probably have another 5 to go.

Candace 09-06-2013 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. (Post 6278199)
Candace, that is so excellent. Very artfully done, the decals. You have a gift!

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say.

profannie 09-07-2013 06:14 AM

Wow, Candace, it`s lovely! Did you read the blog of the FW guy (don't remember his name) about repainting. It`s seem that you can remove the shellac of the FW with just hot water and soap. Wondering if you can do the same with a 99 or 15 (should be the same finish...)
I'm playing with the idea to do something like with an old decrepit 15k sitting in my wardrobe. My little girl would be thrilled to have a nice looking sewing machine like your's... But I don't think I can find the time right now. Anyway... thanks for sharing.

Candace 09-07-2013 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 6278875)
Wow, Candace, it`s lovely! Did you read the blog of the FW guy (don't remember his name) about repainting. It`s seem that you can remove the shellac of the FW with just hot water and soap. Wondering if you can do the same with a 99 or 15 (should be the same finish...)
I'm playing with the idea to do something like with an old decrepit 15k sitting in my wardrobe. My little girl would be thrilled to have a nice looking sewing machine like your's... But I don't think I can find the time right now. Anyway... thanks for sharing.

Removing the shellac isn't the big issue, the old decals need to come off and any chips and paint loss areas need to be evened out. It takes a lot of time and patience to do this.

tessagin 09-07-2013 07:34 AM

This is adorable! If I wanted something like this done, I would turn it over to my husband who used to be a auto body man. He has repainted 3 of our autos. Knowing him though he would paint to the original color and enhance the decals. He might add some pinstripes though around the bottom and maybe across the top. Oh and probably add some flames!

J Miller 09-07-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6277681)
Joe, that wouldn't be too hard to do if it were in black etc. However, if you want the gold metallic that would be a different story. I don't currently do metallic decals. I could do them, but it's an added expense for sure. It means more cartridges to buy. And the metallic, Singer replica ones I've seen cost a fortune.

I understand about the cost of decals. I've been watching the prices for a while now. The bigger problem is I don't have any good samples of what's on this machine. They are in terrible shape.

Joe