Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is a Bernina Record 930 good? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bernina-record-930-good-t224024.html)

franklindixie 06-23-2013 04:35 PM

Jump -- quickly -- on that Bernina. especially at that price.

1screech 06-23-2013 05:18 PM

I have a 930 and it is a super workhorse. I love sewing on it.

mimosa 06-24-2013 05:12 PM

nBernina 930

Originally Posted by fangman (Post 6132985)
I have the 930 and would never give it up. I used it for years and is a great machine.

I have the same machine and still love it....DH surprised me with it one Christmas in the 80's. The only thing is the weight !...I actually hurt my back picking it up out of the front seat of the car and moving to the back seat,,taking it out and then up a few stairs to repair shop! That was over a year ago and still feel the effects of that.
Anyway I love that wavy stitch--#4.
I bought a Pfaff years later but it had no stitch like that one. The 930 really purrs. I was fortunate to have a cabinet also given at the same time..sure made sewing enjoyable all these years. I've thought of selling it but I still use it even though I've bought a couple of FWs, a Brother 1500 for quilting,,Pfaff 7550 and a Pfaff QE4.
The $50 for a 930 was a steal ...many people are paying well over $500 for them . I'm not sure why though if parts are hard to come by.

Skyangel 06-24-2013 10:21 PM

That page with the Bernina 900-series oiling points is posted in the Yahoo group "BerninaThirtySomethings" files section. I printed a copy to keep in my manual. If you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will email it to you.

I have a 910 that I found locally from a craigslist ad. It sews really sweet, it just does not have the decorative stitches of it's big sister the 930. I wanted a mechanical backup for my Bernina 440 and the 910 will probably outlive it. The one I have is from 1983 but it does have the heel-tap needle up-down that was introduced into the 900-series around then. You have to have the right foot control for it to work correctly. When I got mine, I was told the Bernina foot control had broken and they substituted a "generic" that worked fine. I recognized that they were trying to pass off a 70s Kenmore foot control (since I have two of those) and negotiated a reduction since I explained that it negated the needle up-down feature (although I did not know if it had it at that point!). Anyway, I was able to buy the correct foot for the 910 and it looks and works great now. Mine is blue/white, but they also made the 910 in brown/white like the 930.

J Miller 06-25-2013 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 6141969)
That page with the Bernina 900-series oiling points is posted in the Yahoo group "BerninaThirtySomethings" files section. I printed a copy to keep in my manual. If you can't find it PM me with your email address and I will email it to you.

<snip>

Skyangel,

You have a PM. Thank you for the offer.

Joe