Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Bummed - thought I'd bought a penguin foot . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/bummed-thought-id-bought-penguin-foot-t268067.html)

Macybaby 07-28-2015 06:00 AM

HelenAnn- I paid right around current FMV for it, but I think someone may have been willing to pay a premium for it.

So if this did get "lost" by the PO - the seller should be putting in a claim and won't be out funds. However with the PO never showing the tracking number as being accepted, I also don't think it ever made it to the PO.

With the ability to print shipping labels and prepay the postage online through eBay - it's easy enough to create a label and then never take it to the PO - though then the seller is out the postage. For more valuable stuff, my husband always waited at the counter and made sure it got scanned, and 15 minutes later when he got home it would show up that way. Less valuable items he'd put the box on the drop off counter, instead of waiting in the line. And sometimes those would not show up for a few hours.

sjdal 07-28-2015 06:11 AM

And always when shipping a package include an address label on the inside of the package and tape it to the item.

tessagin 07-28-2015 06:17 AM

I do this. And take photos. Then send photos to recipient along with tracking numbers so everyone is aware on both shipping and receiving ends. Helps the claim better if needed.

Originally Posted by sjdal (Post 7269986)
And always when shipping a package include an address label on the inside of the package and tape it to the item.

Another reason to take good photos of the quilts and especially if you've camouflaged the label into the quilt. My cousin takes a photo of the overall quilt, then the quilting and where the label is. She often quilts a small label into the quilt. This helps her to identify the quilt if she would ever need to post a lost or stolen quilt. Then those photos can be posted on the website of FB page of "Lost Quilts Come Home". Can do the same with machines.

Mrs. SewNSew 07-28-2015 06:20 AM

I am so sorry. I know you have to be bummed. The story is sounding pretty lame, and that doesn't help either. :(

ThayerRags 07-28-2015 06:23 AM

I had the early high bid of $5 on a $30-35 item that a Seller listed with a low starting bid recently. Later, when the 7-day auction got close to closing at $5, the Seller suddenly cancelled all bids. When I asked why my bid had been cancelled, I was told that the item came up missing in his office.

That could certainly have happened, so what could I say, but I wondered if the low bidding response had spooked him into closing the auction. I just had to take his word for it and go on.

CD in Oklahoma

Neesie 07-28-2015 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7269974)
HelenAnn- I paid right around current FMV for it, but I think someone may have been willing to pay a premium for it.

So if this did get "lost" by the PO - the seller should be putting in a claim and won't be out funds. However with the PO never showing the tracking number as being accepted, I also don't think it ever made it to the PO.

With the ability to print shipping labels and prepay the postage online through eBay - it's easy enough to create a label and then never take it to the PO - though then the seller is out the postage. .....

I have a bunch of (stick-on) tracking slips w/numbers. They aren't scanned into the system until accepted by the PO, after postage has been paid. The seller could have easily given a legit tracking number (with no cost to him/herself).

SteveH 07-28-2015 07:53 AM

"The case of the missing Penguin" Sounds funny, but would be VERY irritating!

Rodney 07-28-2015 08:00 AM

I'm sorry that happened.
Rodney

CookyIN 07-28-2015 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn (Post 7269493)
You didn't tell them it was worth much more than they were asking did you? LOL

What it's "worth" was set by the seller and agreed to by the buyer. The seller should have fulfilled their end of the agreement. Obviously, I'm not buying their story. If it's an eBay seller, I'd file a complaint about it. If it was an auction and they wanted to garner a minimum price, they can set that when posting the item.

Tink's Mom 07-28-2015 03:37 PM

That stinks...
I does smell a bit fishy...although I have received things back from post office in really bad shape.
Keep a watch on that ebayer...I would bet that it will be relisted in a couple of weeks.