Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can't figure out what this machine is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cant-figure-out-what-machine-t267046.html)

vflsun 06-30-2015 01:55 PM

Can't figure out what this machine is

Hello, I need help and I hope you all can help me. I am looking at this treadle machine. The machine has the word LOTUS where the Singer usually is. There is no badge on the machine but in the place where the badge usually is is the word Singer and in a half circle on top of that is the word Vertrieb. I've figured out that that is german. The machine is up for grabs a couple hours away from me. I'd love to go get it but am concerned about the parts issue. Before I drive there I love to find out all I can about the machine. They have no manual and one of the plates is missing. I'm attaching the phots that I have in hopes that someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

vflsun 06-30-2015 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My photos disappeared. I'll try again.

vflsun 06-30-2015 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And the cabinet looks like this.

wilburness 06-30-2015 02:18 PM

No idea, but I like the cabinet. Nice easy lines. My first thought is a singer clone of some sort.

Cari-in-Oly 06-30-2015 05:00 PM

My first thought is some sort of refurb or repro. The cabinet definitely looks like a repro. A slide plate should be an easy find.

Cari

OurWorkbench 06-30-2015 06:03 PM

I like the cabinet - I saw an ad somewhere on internet showing an ad for one like that and it said it was from 1951 for either the 15k or the 201K. When I did a quick image search for nahmaschine (spelling?) I saw several like the one above. Maybe somebody from Germany can translate (evidently can translate in browser but with dial-up I don't try) or give more information based on visible information. The badge isn't like what I thought even the German Singers had. Also no visible serial number where they are located on most Singer treadles I've seen.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

DonnaMiller 06-30-2015 07:13 PM

My 15 came with this cabinet, less foot treadle, as it had a motor. Nice enough cabinet is definitely a Singer cabinet. Machine is probably a clone of 66 or 99, depending on size. Not a 15. Sew-Classic.com has clone parts too. Jenny may be able to help you if you send her a picture at Sew-Classic.com. Good luck.

Macybaby 07-01-2015 05:25 AM

Donna - 66 and 99 have drop in bobbins, as does the 201, so even though this has the tension on the front, it looks like it's still a 15 clone with the vertical bobbin and case.

vflsun 07-01-2015 07:33 AM

I thought it might be a german made 66, but I'm new enough to vintage machines that I wouldn't trust my judgment without other opinions. But I didn't even think of the bobbin position issue - nice catch Cathy. II have a 66 at home and had thought to try that needle plate on this machine. 'll send the photo to Jenny at Sew Classic and see if she has any ideas re: parts or whatever else she can tell me. My inclination is to get it. I don't have a lot of space and this is a smaller treadle cabinet which would be great. Thanks ladies.

Farmhousesewer 07-01-2015 02:21 PM

Cabinet looks just like my German Pfaff 30-31, except I have a drop down leaf on the left. It is similar to a Singer straight leg, but the Singer straight leg usually has a full leaf that comes up & over the top and 4 drawers.

According to Needlebar, Singer NB AG, Berlin made a machine named Lotus. So yes this IS a Singer machine.