Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

miriam 02-02-2014 08:54 AM

Good news - I got the white off
Good news - no decals damaged
Bad news - it took off a lot of black
Bad news - there is a line around where the white WAS.
Bad news - dull place around that line

wilburness 02-02-2014 09:24 AM

glenn how did you figure out to use spray n wash? What would even make you think of that. my mind just boggles up on you knowledge on how to clean these ol' SM

Glenn 02-02-2014 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by wilburness (Post 6550618)
glenn how did you figure out to use spray n wash? What would even make you think of that. my mind just boggles up on you knowledge on how to clean these ol' SM

I think I heard this from my mother a long time ago and yes it does work. I learned a lot thru trial and error over many years and you only hear of the success not the failers LOL
Skip

Glenn 02-02-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6550546)
Good news - I got the white off
Good news - no decals damaged
Bad news - it took off a lot of black
Bad news - there is a line around where the white WAS.
Bad news - dull place around that line

Miriam lightly sand the line a dull area with very fine wet or dry paper using a little turps as a lub, clean with naptha and then french polish the area to bring back the shine
PS the sanding will level the line out.

miriam 02-02-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6551028)
Miriam lightly sand the line a dull area with very fine wet or dry paper using a little turps as a lub, clean with naptha and then french polish the area to bring back the shine
PS the sanding will level the line out.

fine sand paper or steel wool?

Glenn 02-02-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6551038)
fine sand paper or steel wool?

I never mentioned steel wool anywhere LOL Sand paper wet or dry, the sandpaper used on car finishes. I use 400 and 800 grit. I never use steel wool on the machine except the shiny metal parts.

miriam 02-02-2014 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6551111)
I never mentioned steel wool anywhere LOL Sand paper wet or dry, the sandpaper used on car finishes. I use 400 and 800 grit. I never use steel wool on the machine except the shiny metal parts.

just my blonde streak - makin' sure

Glenn 02-02-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6551154)
just my blonde streak - makin' sure

You are forgiven this time.:o

SteveH 02-02-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6551026)
... you only hear of the success not the failures LOL Skip

I SO understand this. When I do shows with my Armor, I get lots of "wow, i tried like 4 or 5 times and couldn't get that right". I have started taking my box of failures showing the evolution of the attempts, 15 maybe 20 iterations to get it right... People are shocked that i failed so much. I said any "master" has...

My Great-Grandfather was a carpenter and used to tell my Grandfather that the only difference between a craftsman and a failure was quiting....

miriam 02-02-2014 03:00 PM

The only real failure is the failure to try.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.