Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

Cari-in-Oly 03-15-2018 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 8022283)
PB Blaster is the one I use

That's what I use too. Didn't know there was anything else, I just figured it was always a typo.

Cari

Glenn 03-16-2018 04:30 AM

You can get it at Lowes in the tool section.

Treadle&Gears 03-16-2018 05:20 PM

Ditto. Best stuff ever for unlocking rusted-in screws too.

Quiltlady330 03-19-2018 12:57 PM

Www.singer-featherweight.com is a great resource for 301 or Featherweight surfaces, etc.

Mornigstar 04-06-2018 07:30 AM

I like that you give all info in detail.

Smooooth 04-21-2018 06:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings Everyone.............

As I stand before the group I can clearly say.... My name is Stephen and I have a new addiction!!

This all started about a month ago when I found a 1948 Singer 15-91 in our basement that we were given as a gift 9 years ago - AND NEVER OPENED IT. It's a looong story.

The 15-91 cleaned up beautifully and no shellac repair was needed. Mechanically in excellent condition and if anything, was dry. And yes, I did tear apart the motor and rebuilt it. For the longest time I thought it had never been used. Refinished the cabinet - Such beautiful wood.

Somewhere along the line I started hanging out on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and YouTube more than previously normal. Hours upon hours upon hours I tell ya...... OHHH - Look!!! A 1949 201-2 at a great price. And even more stories that can be told later. (Shhhh - I looked at a 301A today and will be picking up a empty 301 cabinet tomorrow with the cradle installed for dirt cheap)

The 201-2 was mechanically perfect and yet I still did a almost complete tear-down. But the finish had an issue. (Finally he got to the point.....)

I have no questions at the moment as I am about to start the French Polish process. Something I have never done before. After many many hours I have painstakingly removed most all of the shellac, square inch by square inch. What this thread has done is boost a little bit of confidence.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]593340[/ATTACH]

Stephen

HelenAnn 04-22-2018 12:46 AM

Welcome Stephen the wood on the cabinet is beautiful.
In one year you must report your sewing machine count.
If you do any maintenance on fire arms you will find the screw drivers work great for the sewing machines also. There is a long history of sewing machines and fire arms together.

Treadle&Gears 04-22-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn (Post 8045107)
Welcome Stephen the wood on the cabinet is beautiful.
There is a long history of sewing machines and fire arms together.

Very true. Providence Tool designed and manufactured the Peabody rifle starting in the 1860s, and turned to sewing machines when they weren't paid for a large order of the guns. Remington, Vickers, Husqvarna... all made arms before sewing machines. Even Singer made guns several times, both in and out of wartime.

HelenAnn 04-22-2018 06:49 PM

Many of the German company's like Mauser ended up in sewing machines because they weren't allowed to make arms.

Smooooth 04-23-2018 04:22 AM

Started the French Polish process last night.

I have a lot to learn!!! Not happy with the finish at the moment. Lots of streaks and swirl marks. Very delicate balance when it comes to the Shellac, Alcohol, and Oil. Using 100% Cotton Lint Free cloth to create the Rubber and packed with T-Shirt material. Loaded with approximately 50% Shellac and 50% Denatured Alcohol. Recharging as needed and adding a drop of Boiled Linseed Oil as needed.

I do understand that the goal is many many very thin layers.

Stephen