Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the shellac clear coat on vintage sewing mcahines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-mcahines-t186522.html)

Justsosew 01-04-2017 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there. I had asked a question in a thread I started, and some of our lovely members suggested I post here. I have a new to me Pfaff 130 with some serious crazing (I word I just learned) on the bed. I've read this thread carefully, and am wondering if the French polishing technique will work for me. there is a "bald spot" in one area, and some of the flakes feel kind of loose. Here's a picture. May or may not be as bad as I fear.

Thanks!
Maggie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564973[/ATTACH]

miriam 01-05-2017 04:03 AM

If Glenn doesn't pop on here with an idea of what you can do send him a pm

Glenn 01-05-2017 05:21 AM

You can help this machine with french polish. You will need denatured alcohol and linseed oil. Use the technique as described only start with alcohol and oil (stay away from the decals). Dip cloth on finger in alcohol and then add a drop or two of oil. Now lightly go over the crazing in a circular motion smoothing out the crazy. This will take some time and may take longer than a day or two. After the finish is to your liking you can proceed with the shellac french polish to shin it up. I recommend you practice on an old machine first. Remember to move fast or your cloth will stick to the surface. You can also sand with fine wet or dry sand paper and sewing machine oil to smooth but don't cut thru the black finsih. Then french polish with shellac several times until the finish is even and shiny. Please read the instructions carefully and practice on an old machine before working on your good machine.

Gagigi 02-09-2017 05:42 AM

What cleaning products would you use on Singer 301 mocha color? Tryed soap and water and finish started coming off?

zaxmum 08-15-2019 05:32 AM

Decals - Missing or Just Dirty?

3 Attachment(s)
I inherited my great grandmother's Davis sewing machine. It isn't valuable, but it means a lot to me. It goes without saying that this machine was put to good use for many years. I remember my grandmother using it in my lifetime when she had something difficult to sew like leather. The machine needs some TLC. The cabinet is in fairly reasonable shape, and I have a lot if not all of the attachments, but some are rusted. However, the decals on the machine are completely black. If you stand at the right angle, you can see where they were and tell their shapes, and you can read the word "Davis." However, I don't know if they are just tarnished and dirty or totally missing. any ideas? Thanks in advance.

juliasb 08-15-2019 05:42 AM

I have done something like this on vintage machines before it brings out the old glory of the machine. You must be patient when doing this. Rushing things especially drying times can make a good thing go terribly wrong. Also be sure you have good ventilation. Thanks Glen for these great tips.

Glenn 08-15-2019 08:54 AM

zaxmum I sent you a pm. This is a vertical feed and a very good machine.

Tiffiny 05-01-2020 11:36 PM

Can't find denatured alcohol

I can not for the life of me find denatured alcohol, are any of the other sort of similar products useable for this? I can get methyl hydrate which says it is often used to thin shellac but I don't want to start messing around with something I don't understand. Also I've read that fondue fuel is typically denatured alcohol but with a bit of colour added, any idea if that would effect the process? Thanks

Glenn 05-02-2020 04:17 AM

You can get the alcohol at Lowes and Home Depot in the paint department. It comes in qt or gal size. It is easy to find. Any paint store will have it.

miriam 05-02-2020 04:20 AM

What country are you in?