Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the shellac clear coat on vintage sewing mcahines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-mcahines-t186522.html)

miriam 01-02-2015 02:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It looks like someone put red nail polish on the machine - how do I get that off with out ruining the finish?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504487[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504488[/ATTACH]

Glenn 01-02-2015 04:45 PM

Hi Miriam, I would use finger nail polish remover. It has some oil in it so it will not be hard on the finish. Although it is acetone the oil in it will help. If you use pure acetone it will remove the shellac. Go easy with a Q-tip.

Cari-in-Oly 01-02-2015 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7031284)
Hi Miriam, I would use finger nail polish remover. It has some oil in it so it will not be hard on the finish. Although it is acetone the oil in it will help. If you use pure acetone it will remove the shellac. Go easy with a Q-tip.

Glenn, how about the non acetone polish remover, would that work and be better for the machine?

Cari

Glenn 01-02-2015 05:19 PM

It might but the non acetone remover is for the acrylic polish not the the old lacquer polish. So you will have to try it to see if it will remove the polish. If the polish is on an old balck machine I am sure it might be the old finger nail polish. I hope it works.

Cari-in-Oly 01-02-2015 07:38 PM

I used to do nails. Non acetone remover is for acrylic(fake) nails, it doesn't matter what type of polish. Acetone will melt the fake nails.

Cari

Glenn 01-03-2015 07:03 AM

Cari are you saying the non acetone nail polish remover will remove any nail polish? If this is so this would be great. Not knowing anything about nails I always just use my wife's polish remover. I need to go read the label. I just know the old polish was lacquer then again what to I know about nails.:D

Cari-in-Oly 01-03-2015 01:17 PM

Yep, I never had a problem removing any nail polish with non acetone remover and I had every kind you can think of. I went for color, not loyal to any brand. Some polishes I had were 30+ years old(think the old Avon stuff). Acetone remover works quicker with dark colors but the non acetone does work. Since they changed all the nail polish formulas to remove the carcinogens several years ago, some of the cheap stuff can be removed just by washing dishes or taking a shower if you don't clear coat it.

Cari

Glenn 01-03-2015 02:11 PM

Thanks Cari, I will use the non acetone remover. I always used acetone but most people with out practice can mess things up with it. So now I know. Thank you for the info.
Skip

chrissyort 02-06-2016 11:35 PM

I know this thread is quite old but I wanted to chime in with my experience. I took denatured alcohol to the head of a 201 without minding the decals at all. My pad was soaked with the stuff. It immediately turned my gold decals to silver! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I obviously didn't know what I was doing and I thought the denatured alcohol would do no harm! Oops! It is fine, I just have an original Singer 201 with silver decals. Live and learn, as they say!

frankSinger 03-24-2016 10:58 AM

Hi Glenn,

To put new decals on the machine do I;
1. lightly sand decal areas
2. buff the area
3. apply decals
4. apply shellac
5. apply polish and wax.

Is this a correct procedure?

Also, where is the best place to get decals for my 201-2 1948 Singer?

Thanks,
Frank