Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Clones from A to Z - update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/clones-z-update-t257178.html)

J Miller 11-22-2014 09:02 AM

Clones from A to Z - update

On 6-22-14 I started a thread titled Clones from A to Z and listed all the names of 15 Clones I had pics of on my HD. { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...z-t248864.html }
I've added quite a few in the 5 months since my first post, so I thought I'd update the list for those who are interested:

Clones, From A to Z, Updated 11-22-14

A: ADLER, Admiral, Aldens, Ambassador, American Beauty, American Home, Anker, Apollo

B: Bel Air Imperial, Belvedere, Best Built, Bluebird, Bond Electric, Bradford, Brother, Butterfly

C: Capri, Cardinal, Challenge, Champion, Commander, Commodore*, Commander, Compac, Comrie, Constellation, Continental, Coronado, Coronado Princess*, Coronet, Cromwell

D: Domestic, Dressmaker*

E: Edison*, Electra Deluxe, Electro Grand, Elite, Emerson, Eureka

F: Fabric, Famous, Federal, Fei Ren Pai, Fiatelli, Fleetwood Deluxe, Flying Man, Free-Westinghouse

G: General, Good Housekeeper

H: Homestead, Hother Sewmatic*, Hudson, Humen

I: Ideal, Imperial, Imperial National, International

J: Janome Paragon, JUKI_HA1

K: Kaiser, Kann’s 202, Kenmore, Kingston

L: Liberty

M: Margiotta, Martin, McCalls, Mercury, Mercury Electric, Mid-State, Modern Home, Modernage, Monarch, Montgomery Wards, Morse*

N: New Home

O: ~

P: Pfaff, Plymouth, Precision Master, Premier, Princess

Q: ~

R: Remington, Revere, Riccar, Rockford, Rodney, Royal

S: Sands, SBF, Seam Master, SEW ALL, Sew Magic, SEWBEST, SEWMOR**, SEWTEX, Simplex, Soverign, Standard, STAR, State, Sterling, Stitch Master, STITCHMASTER, Stitchmatic, Stradivaro, Success

T: Tailor Maid, The Haile Bros. Co.

U: Universal, Universal Eversew

V: Valiant, Vanderwoort’s, Verlex, Victor, Viscount, Vogue

W: Webster, White, Winfield, Wizard, Wyman’s

X: ~

Y: Younker’s

Z: Zenith

I've collected enough names now to see a pattern. There are more names in C, M, and S than any other letter.
And still no names starting with O, Q or X.
Those names marked with an * indicate I have one or more of that name :D .

Very interesting names these machines have. And some of them are quite attractively painted and decalled. I wish I could post all these pics, but I just don't have the computer to do it.

Joe

miriam 11-22-2014 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
G - I have one marked Gotham
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499851[/ATTACH]

NanaCsews2 11-22-2014 10:59 AM

Are the Visetti and the Trojan clones? I am somewhat new to this clone thing. Sure is interesting!

miriam 11-22-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 (Post 6979575)
Are the Visetti and the Trojan clones? I am somewhat new to this clone thing. Sure is interesting!

If Joe says they are clones they are clones. You have to understand that clones can be named anything. They were manufactured in Japan and sold through various retail outlets. If the store wanted to buy some machines with no names they could put any name they wanted on the machine.

J Miller 11-22-2014 11:08 AM

Miriam,

OOOOooooo that is a pretty one. I wouldn't turn down adopting that one for any reason. And I've already got 8 clones already. That is first one of that name and color in my collection. Thanks.

NanaCsews2,

Might be. I don't have any of those names nor have I seen pics of them. To be a clone they have to look like the Singer 15s, old style or new style, like Miriam's pic above. Or be a clone of one of the other Singers. But for the purpose of this collection I'm only including those that match the 15s.

Joe

J Miller 11-22-2014 11:11 AM

Oh and another thing, the clones are not really "clones". More like close copies. The 15 clones almost all have some little variation that separates them from the Singers.
The 66 clones, are more like a hybrid 66 / 201 copy than just a 66. About the only clones that I've seen that might be called clones are the 99 clones.

Joe

miriam 11-22-2014 12:31 PM

Joe, it is the only one I've ever seen, too.

J Miller 11-22-2014 06:24 PM

Miriam,

You think the caped crusader might have used that one to make his bat suite??? :D

Joe

miriam 11-22-2014 06:37 PM

I don't think it had that much use... but I did send an email to my friend who goes by Battman...

Gray fox 11-23-2014 12:37 PM

Sewmor 99 clone

1 Attachment(s)
Does this one qualify? It is close to a 99 in many ways, but cannot take a handcrank because the shaft is too big in diameter, and also longer than a 99. Possibly if I groove the current wheel one would work.

I found this one when looking for the elusive aluminum 99 -- and don't you think it's cute to call it Featherweight and have a feather decal!

Dianne in Colorado