Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Company that makes Decals for older Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/company-makes-decals-older-machines-t208728.html)

SteveH 12-18-2012 01:41 PM

Company that makes Decals for older Machines

1 Attachment(s)
Hey folks,

I have just received my new decals for the Singer 29 from a company that makes reproductions.

I am curious if it is "kosher" to list the company here?

I sent him three questions:
1. Are there any plans to reproduce the remaining decals for this system (i.e. the "flourishes")
2. Can you make the Large decal the correct size? (his is about 5-10% smaller than the original)
3. Are there plans to provide upgraded versions which include the decal surface details (not just a "gold shadow" of the decal)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382927[/ATTACH]

His response was Yes, Yes (no body has pointed this out yet), and Yes (about 4-6 mos)

I was already on a project with my daughter to redraw them all for the 29-4 and then work on making my own, but this company seems willing to be adjustable and responsive.

SteveH 12-18-2012 04:05 PM

I just made an amazing discovery (to me anyway)

If you go to the Google Patent Search and use the terms "ornamentation sewing machine" you get tons of old patents where they registered their designs...

Caroline S 12-19-2012 07:46 AM

You are resourceful Steve. I had no idea that there were decals available for the 29. Stanley, our 29-4 needs new decals. He definitely needs new ones. I am sure that you can post the company name as you have no relationship with them other than being a customer.

SteveH 12-19-2012 08:00 AM

http://www.keelersales.com/servlet/C...ategory=Decals

Patty55 12-19-2012 05:58 PM

There's someone on e-Bay selling them too!

DanofNJ 12-19-2012 08:50 PM

You can also look on Ebay under "waterslide" decals. I am using some to restore my Model 12. They come very close if you can cut out some of the areas of embellishment. They are not exactly the same, but similar motif.

jennb 12-20-2012 05:08 AM

This guy is using photoshop to recreate the decals which is why his sizing is off because he's working from photographs. A and I have been trying to get the license to reproduce the Singer decals on various machines and Singer won't respond, so be cautious in what you buy. We've been in contact with this guy (he's also the seller on ebay and a few other places but they're all coming from him) because he won't confirm if he's authorized by Singer to be selling their images. Not saying he's bad or anything, as he does some really nice work but Singer was quick to tell us that we could not obtain an agreement to use their logos which means that he may not be selling something he has the legal right to sell.

J Miller 12-20-2012 07:12 AM

I've been tempted to buy some printable water slide decal sheets and make my own. I really don't have a printer that will do that though, but it's just an idea.
I'm wondering what the legality of doing them just for yourself and not for sale would be?

Joe

SteveH 12-20-2012 09:46 AM

Yep, I'm pretty sure he is the person n EBay as well.

There is some sticky stuff here. These artwork designs are patented (I have found 16 specific so far, most from the late 1800's) However, There is a limit on how long those are valid, but "reissues" are also possible.

Most companies will tell you that everything that they have ever done or made is "theirs" and "copyrighted" but in fact many are no longer so.

There are also issues regarding "This works with machines like Singers" vs "I made this for Singer machines" vs "This is a Singer correct/original design" vs "This is a reproduction" (The joys of having a final year law school student for a DD)

I am looking into this now, but in the meantime I am currently working on the Singer 29-4 set "with him" (I have supplied my research photos) and I am working with my artist DD to make my own set of drawings. I have access to a good color laser copier/printer and may try a non-metallic printing to see how it works.

LAQUITA 12-20-2012 11:21 AM

I am wondering how to get 'the rest' of the faded / missing decals off my FW so I can replace it with new ones., ANy suggestions?
Thanks.