Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   The darndest thing just happened with one of my 9W-7s (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/darndest-thing-just-happened-one-my-9w-7s-t251446.html)

J Miller 08-06-2014 07:51 PM

The darndest thing just happened with one of my 9W-7s

1 Attachment(s)
I was quilting a panel with my Singer 9W-7 #1 when all of sudden .... BAM!, BAM!, BAM!. I couldn't get it stopped after the first BAM! even though I tried.
When I looked, my needle was bent and broken. Say What???

Well, I suspected that perhaps I had pulled on the fabric a bit too much so I set about to put in a new needle. Well, so much for that, the broken one is jammed in super tight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486583[/ATTACH]

This is the 9W-7 that has been modified so it can use 15x1 needles. I suspect the impact forced the top of the needle deeper into the hole in the shaft.

I've tried several sets of pliers to get it out without success, so I've got to figure something out.

I just hope it didn't knock the machine out of time.

Joe

singerguy 08-06-2014 08:30 PM

have you tried WD40 ? it might loosen up the needle a bit for you to be able to pull it out.

Tartan 08-06-2014 09:09 PM

Can you use a small pair of vise grips to clamp on the remaining needle and using a small hammer, tap downward on the vise grips? Very scary when a needle breaks and you can't stop in time!

SteveH 08-06-2014 09:17 PM

if you do the vicegrip and hammer (good idea) put a piece of leather (and maybe even a thin bit of foam) under it to absorb the shock

liking quilting 08-07-2014 02:09 AM

Oh my...let us know how this ends for you.

litacats 08-07-2014 02:33 AM

can you get the bobbin case out it could be jammed on that, then you maybe able to get it out from underneath.

Mitch's mom 08-07-2014 02:41 AM

Cold expands, heat contracts. Electronics stores, Walmart or Staples will have Freeze Spray. It is used to quickly cool electronics. Clamp onto the remaining needle with a pair of pliers, spray the needle bar and pull at the same time. Your needle stub should pull free.

ThayerRags 08-07-2014 03:40 AM

Ouch.

CD in Oklahoma

J Miller 08-07-2014 05:31 AM

litacats,
The machine is not jammed. It's free and spins easily. The needle is just jammed up inside the needle bar.

The vise grip idea was the next one on my mine. Will have to go outside in the garage to get a set of those.

CD,
Yes, OUCH. Very glad the broken piece of needle had the thread through it. I was able to recover it with no damage to me or anything(one) else.

Joe

amcatanzaro 08-07-2014 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 6835266)
Cold expands, heat contracts. Electronics stores, Walmart or Staples will have Freeze Spray. It is used to quickly cool electronics. Clamp onto the remaining needle with a pair of pliers, spray the needle bar and pull at the same time. Your needle stub should pull free.

Canned dust remover air? Is that what you are talking about?