Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Did I spend too much? New featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/did-i-spend-too-much-new-featherweight-t304156.html)

Sharronaw 04-14-2019 04:45 AM

I have seen them go for much more- I don’t think you did bad with that price. When you get the cord replaced have the service person service it completely, you’ll have a very good and reliable machine for a long time. My case isn’t in great condition either- it happens. Sharron

Tartan 04-14-2019 05:10 AM

Unfortunate that they didn’t let you check it out before hand. Since featherweights can sell for $300 or $400 and higher, it’s not too bad a price. Hopefully you can get it sewing for not too much more.

alderdweller 04-14-2019 05:55 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement! I sure do love her....still looking for a name :)
I have ordered the needed supplies and in the meantime I am going to set about giving her a good cleaning. I have found the Singer-Featherweight site that has a lot of good info how to safely do this.
I surely didn't need another baby in my collection, but so glad she found me!

Lady Diana 04-14-2019 06:26 AM

I paid $350 for mine....included everything.....so if you are at $200 that is a good thing. You will be surprised at how well she will clean up. The decals look to be in pretty good shape....normally these are worn off. Have fun!

cashs_mom 04-14-2019 06:34 AM

I don't think you did badly on it. My husband paid a lot more than that for my Centennial and my case was a bit damaged. I got my white FW for a song at an estate sale, but I also took a chance because it wasn't running. I did, however, have a chance to play with it for a bit and knew that the motor ran and that it had the bobbin and bobbin case. A good cleaning and oiling works wonders. I got mine running just by doing that.

bkay 04-14-2019 06:52 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I paid $125.00 for one at an online auction that was in terrible shape. It didn't look that bad in the photos, but it did when I picked it up.

The odd thing was that I was outbid, but I woke up the next morning with an invoice and notice that I was the winner. It happens, apparently.

bkay

bkay 04-14-2019 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 8240276)
I paid $350 for mine....included everything.....so if you are at $200 that is a good thing. You will be surprised at how well she will clean up. The decals look to be in pretty good shape....normally these are worn off. Have fun!

Somewhere here on QB, Steve H posted something about touching up those dings on the edge of a black machine. He told us what product he used. If you can't find it, contact him at victoriansweatshop.com.

Mine was too far gone for touch ups. It will take a re-paint.

bkay

Mickey2 04-14-2019 08:20 AM

The price is well within acceptable. Used sewing machines always vary a lot in prices, the last decades the Featherweight has kept it's value and I guess it will in the future. Your machine looks like a bit dirty, but will clean and shine up very well. The original decals and japanning looks nice. If the case isn't particularly smelly it's a major pluss, even if it needs a bit of attention. During the clean up process you will get to know your new machine much better.

toverly 04-14-2019 08:28 AM

Nope, you did good. The only thing I would do different when I purchased my featherweight is I wouldn't bother trying to repair the case. DH got involved and oh the trouble it caused. At that time there were nice little red nylon cases that zipped. I should have purchased that one and been happy. The older cases have a tendency to stink from the mildew or glue that the used. Lots of airing out and it still smells funny.

leonf 04-14-2019 08:42 AM

You will always hear stories of the great buys or even free ones that have been found. But you found one that you wanted and got. You did allright.