Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Did someone totally ruin a treadle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/did-someone-totally-ruin-treadle-t232977.html)

Candace 10-23-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 (Post 6363995)
That is almost as bad as this:

I was at a local Flea Market about 2 weeks ago
and almost stopped in my tracks when I saw:

a FW stripped and made into a John Deere tractor.

I doubt it was a FW. It was likely a 66 or something like that. There are millions of them out there. I cringe a little seeing stuff like that but who am I, the sewing machine police? "At least they're not in the landfill" , I usually mutter to myself and move on.

Sunflowerzz 10-23-2013 07:25 AM

Candace. I love your remark " who am I, the sewing machine police?" and how you handle these "crimes" against sewing machines.

sewbizgirl 10-23-2013 06:48 PM

It's certainly ruined to me!

manicmike 10-23-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 6364028)
Candace. I love your remark " who am I, the sewing machine police?" and how you handle these "crimes" against sewing machines.

I had the same thought the other day when I saw the wood pants (just thinking about that still cracks me up). Art to some, and as long as it's not going to land fill. There are still literally millions of beautiful machines and cabinets out there. It's just a fact that people are likely never going to need to sew their own clothing ever again in first world countries. It's something of a trend now that some people are learning to sew but there are still millions of machines that will never be usable. It's why we all have many of them and generally pay next to nothing (sometimes exactly nothing - that's the right price) or a fraction of their value new.

There'll always be more, so I'll just take a deep breath and turn away when I witness such crimes :shock:

luvstitches 10-24-2013 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 6362018)
i would doubt it would sew. Or at least it wouldn't sew well. The clever, time saver here sprayed everything. Maybe I'm wrong, but the tension discs, and all the parts that move would be stuck. Or when they were used they would be paint cracks and pieces of paint falling off into the handwheel area. Not good and I doubt it would look very pretty. Even in repaints there are parts that are removed or taped to prevent painting them.

My husband services sewing machines and you're right, it wouldn't sew right with all that spray.
And the answer to the question at the top, YES! Such a shame, however, I can understand someone else
seeing the beauty with their own eyes. I can't see it though and I tried but my eyes started to hurt. LOL!

Grace MooreLinker 10-24-2013 06:09 AM

An interesting concept anyway, the cabinet isn't to bad but the machine I would never do that .