Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Do I Really Need a 301??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/do-i-really-need-301-a-t226425.html)

liking quilting 07-24-2013 05:48 PM

I also bought two 301's. Both through e-bay. Shipping was great. Machines are great. One is now at home at our cabin. Yes, I do sometimes miss having the zz stitch, but not too often! I agree with the person who said the sewing on these old machines is therapeutic; great little clicking that doesn't happen with those new plastic machines. Good luck!

DanofNJ 07-24-2013 06:07 PM

You absolutely don't need one...but you should have one. You'll find it sews similar to the featherweight, but on a grander scale, and the slant needle allows you to sew over needles which was it's big selling point. It is not good for FMQ, but it is a pleasure to use.

Daylesewblessed 07-24-2013 07:03 PM

I wouldn't be without my 301. The slant needle makes the sewing area so visible for me. And she runs fast!

I found a second 301 at the estate sale of the Singer repairman. It was stored among other machines in a shed. Here is west Texas, that means dirt. Luckily the dirt is only on the case. The machine itself was clean. All I had to do is oil it and change the needle for wonderful sewing. I did replace the worn power cord and dried up tire.

The family of 3 girls who live next door are moving next week. We have been doing sewing projects on my first
301 for months, and I plan to give them this next 301 to take with them. The oldest girl (age 10) has taken an interest in the workings of the machine, so I think she is ready for the responsibility. I have a Kenmore which would zigzag for them, but I think that a child would be a lot less likely to be seriously hurt by a 301 if it fell off the table than by a heavier machine. Ha!

Dayle

caroloto 07-24-2013 09:44 PM

No sure if you need one yet I sure I thinking you want one! Here a link for you to decide how much you really want one! Lol

http://singer301.com/about/default.html

Well after reading that link I believe I need a 301 now!

Candace 07-24-2013 10:21 PM

I have 4 of them currently in my hands and have only parted with 2 because they were duplicates. One of Singer's best IMO.

schuu6p 07-25-2013 05:18 AM

Yes, you need a 301. I have two. Paid $30 for one (black short bed) and $35 for the other (beige short bed). They almost as easy to carry around as the FWs are. I wasn't looking for either one so maybe if you act like you don't really care, then you will find one :).

irishrose 07-25-2013 06:00 AM

No sewing machine can sew over pins if you value your eyesight. I have badly bent a pin with the 301, though it didn't break it and throw the pieces like my Elna does.

caroloto, thank you for the interesting site.

Stitch124 07-25-2013 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished quilting a t-shirt quilt on this Brother and it was such a pain in the neck, back, shoulders! It does have a small harp space but it got quilted with a lot of cussing thrown in.

Originally Posted by lhayes1976 (Post 6193358)
I actually have that exact Brother--found it on clearance at Walmart a couple of years ago for $50. It has such a small harp space--don't understand how they can call it a "quilting" model with such a small space. My dream machine is s Juki, ah maybe some day. I just love the sound of sewing on an old vintage machine--therapeutic.

chris_quilts 07-25-2013 09:09 AM

If you find you do need one, I have two so my answer is yes, they do FMQ very well because the feed dogs drop. Actually, my black 301, Rebeckah, is my go-to machine for everything my DH's jeans repairs. She could do them but I use a heavier vintage machine for them and the seams.

cricket_iscute 07-25-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 6194657)
You absolutely don't need one...but you should have one. You'll find it sews similar to the featherweight, but on a grander scale, and the slant needle allows you to sew over needles which was it's big selling point. It is not good for FMQ, but it is a pleasure to use.

Could you say why you don't think a 301 is good for fmq, DanofNJ? I think mine is the best machine for fmq I've ever used.