Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   does my old singer have value (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/does-my-old-singer-have-value-t283340.html)

mapleie 10-27-2016 12:37 PM

does my old singer have value

I have my grandmother's old Singer. guess early 1900. I think it is in what is called a Parlor Cabinet
The cabinet goes all the way to the floor with doors in front for your knees when you are sewing.
Wondering if there is any value in this or if i should just toss it to get rid of it.

ctyankee 10-27-2016 12:46 PM

I suspect people who collect antiques will read your question & faint dead away!

bkay 10-27-2016 01:10 PM

There are very few treadle machines that have a lot of value. On the other hand, there are people who would love to have them and restore them. They don't usually pay a lot of money for them, though.

The ones that bring money are inlaid with mother of pearl and/or are particularly pretty or the ones that are rare. Most of the rare ones are from before 1900 and they don't look like sewing machines.

If yours might qualify for that rare or particularly pretty designation, post a photo and get an opinion. There are lots of people here with opinions.

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 10-27-2016 01:26 PM

Since it was your grandmothers, the value is in that, it being a family machine. If you don't want it, why not see if another member of your family does? There may be someone who would love to have it.

Cari

cashs_mom 10-27-2016 01:36 PM

I agree, Cari. I have my paternal grandmother's Singer treadle. It's in a beautiful cabinet and in my living room. It's in wonder shape because she mostly did handwork and according to my mother only hemmed sheets and made pillowcases from yardage that she then trimmed with hand embroidery and applique. My mother did use it a bit. I have never have and don't know that I will. I just love having it for the connection to my mother. Some things are worth more than money. Don't get rid of it without contacting others in your family. There might be someone that would love to have it.

jbj137 10-27-2016 02:42 PM

*** I would love to see a pic.

pocoellie 10-27-2016 06:00 PM

I don't know about the "value" of the machine, BUT please don't toss it in the trash!!!!!!!!!!

cashs_mom 10-27-2016 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 7686783)
I don't know about the "value" of the machine, BUT please don't toss it in the trash!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^ What she said!

sewbizgirl 10-27-2016 07:22 PM

A lot depends on the condition. I bought my beautiful 1908 Singer model 66-1 treadle in great shape in a fabulous parlor cabinet for $125.

Some people leave them out in the yard in the weather for a couple of decades and then someone "discovers" them and lists them for hundreds, all rusty and beat. You see those all over Craigslist.

If you could show us some pictures we might be able to help gauge the value for you.

tranum 10-27-2016 08:27 PM

My Grandmother immigrated to the USA as a new bride in 1922. She was trained as a tailor and I don't know when she bought her treadle here in the USA, but it was the only machine she ever owned. I have great memories of her sewing with it. I have it now and I treasure it.