Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Early Christmas present from DS, a real basket case! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/early-christmas-present-ds-real-basket-case-t170611.html)

Caroline S 12-01-2011 08:47 PM

Early Christmas present from DS, a real basket case!

4 Attachment(s)
My DS and DL sent me an early Christmas present. It is an 1893 Singer Sphinx, serial # 11646303. The caveat is that it looks like it was someone's restoration project. Everything is in pieces. Don't know if all the pieces are with it yet. She is in very rough condition and will likely be giving her a kerosene bath using Billy's method and a lot of advice from vintage board members. But she came with a wooden puzzle box with attachments. My DH's only comment was, "don't you already have enough junk?". And of course I said that one man's junk is another woman's treasure! :p

annthreecats 12-02-2011 02:29 AM

Have fun. She will be wonderful when you finish fixing her up.

LindaR 12-02-2011 06:17 AM

I would be thrilled with the puzzle box alone...LOL, the machine will be great

mighty 12-02-2011 08:01 AM

Have fun she is going to be a real beauty when you are finished. Love the puzzle box.

Stitchit123 12-02-2011 08:46 AM

She will be beautiful-- My DH bought me a 1851 yrs ago and the drawers were stuffed with all kinds of goodies but my favorite piece was the puzzle box with all the attachments and the original manuals.He only pd $75 and I was offered $300 for just the box and manuals-I said No thanks I'd rather keep them all together.I still use Ol'Gertie she's my favorite.I hope the other ol girls understand

jljack 12-02-2011 08:51 AM

Wow!! Great project to learn this skill. She'll be grand once cleaned up.

BarbM32 12-02-2011 09:02 AM

What a treasure of a machine and a treasure of a son and DL for thinking of you. As for myself I would never get it together.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-02-2011 02:47 PM

Let us see the before and after pictures when you get her cleaned up! She should be a beauty.

quiltdoctor 12-02-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4742049)
My DS and DL sent me an early Christmas present. It is an 1893 Singer Sphinx, serial # 11646303. The caveat is that it looks like it was someone's restoration project. Everything is in pieces. Don't know if all the pieces are with it yet. She is in very rough condition and will likely be giving her a kerosene bath using Billy's method and a lot of advice from vintage board members. But she came with a wooden puzzle box with attachments. My DH's only comment was, "don't you already have enough junk?". And of course I said that one man's junk is another woman's treasure! :p

OOOHHHH!! lucky you !!! I'd love to get a machine for Christmas !!

Texas Jan

BarbaraSue 12-02-2011 07:44 PM

Looks like a good winter project. She'll be beautiful when you're through.