Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Electrify a tredle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/electrify-tredle-t251362.html)

Sherricrisp 08-04-2014 07:47 PM

Electrify a tredle?

I have my grandmothers old singer 66. It is a great machine and still works. I remember sitting on my grandmothers lap and watching her sew. I am interested in doing fmq. Would it be a sin to add a motor make it electric? I don't think I am coordinated enough to move my hand and my feet at the same time.
Thanks,
Sherri

mlmack 08-04-2014 08:06 PM

Nope. It was done all the time back in the day.

Sherricrisp 08-05-2014 03:49 AM

Does anyone know what is involved in electrifying a tredle?

SteveH 08-05-2014 08:38 AM

We really tend to go in the other direction here, returning "electrified" machines to treadle.

I would suggest you give it a fair try before you convert it. Literally millions of people have done it, you can too!!

With my "rant" over here it the general sequence:

First, determine if machine has motor/handcrank boss on the right side under the big wheel. (most made after WWI do have this). It is a rectangular raised area with a threaded hole in it.

If YES, then all you have to do is buy a motor, mounting bracket, and cord set with foot pedal.

If no, then you have a LOT more work involved, drilling and such.

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 08:47 AM

you may have to be tried for QB Hi Crimes and Misdemeanors, if you go thru with it! LOL. Or at least excommunication. check out the FB page on vintage sewing machine embroidery to see treadles bding used to do amazing free motion work. it takes a while, but its eminenently do-able.

oldsewnsew 08-05-2014 09:01 AM

I've read here that horizontal bobbin machines (drop in) don't FMQ as well as vertical bobbin macines. I dont have much experience to know for sure... try it?

J Miller 08-05-2014 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sherri,

Model 66s do not drop the feed dogs, so you'll have to find either a cover plate, old OEM or new style or try it with the stitch length set at 0. I think they call them darning plates. They look like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486470[/ATTACH]

What SteveH said about converting them. I have unconverted one Singer 66 treadle and would do it to any of them.
There are MANY electric Singer 66s in cabinets to use without (in my opinion) ruining a treadle machine.

I can treadle and up until 2 years ago I'd never sat in front of a treadle machine before. If klutzy old J Miller can run a treadle machine, you can.

Joe

pennycandy 08-05-2014 06:09 PM

Are the presser feet the back clamp type? If so, do you have a back clamp type darning foot?

manicmike 08-05-2014 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by pennycandy (Post 6833829)
Are the presser feet the back clamp type? If so, do you have a back clamp type darning foot?

Best to upload a picture. Most 66s are side clampers but a picture of the needle area would give up a load more information.

quilttiger 08-06-2014 04:41 AM

My grandmother had a treadle sewing machine and she later had it electrified. It worked well for her. I am sorry to say I don't remember the brand, model or how it was done. She passed away in 1975 and I was not into quilting as I am now.