Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Elna SupermaticPrice dropped 10/15 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/elna-supermaticprice-dropped-10-15-a-t70018.html)

wolfkitty 10-16-2010 06:37 PM

Yes, what are cams and what is their 'advantage' or reason for being? (That's why I come here. I'm learning so much)

natalieg 10-16-2010 06:53 PM

I am not very well versed in it, but, in the second pidture, see the little black discs in the top of the accessory box? Those are cams. Also in the second picture I have a little door on top opened, that is where you put the cams. They make the stitches different. You have one for zig-zag, another for another stitch and I think, at times you put two at a time....dunno for sure.

cabbagepatchkid 10-17-2010 09:14 AM

Maybe you could try Craigslist. I just bought the same machine on
CL, a couple of weeks ago, for $50.00 and it only had one cam with it. I think it is a cool looking sewing machine! :mrgreen:

purplefiend 10-17-2010 09:22 AM

Cams are the forerunner of the built in cam stack on modern machines. They are disks that you put in/on the machine to make fancy stitches and zig zag. In a modern machine you move a lever or turn a knob to get a different stitch.

wolfkitty 10-17-2010 09:51 AM

Thank you, purplefiend.

purplefiend 10-17-2010 05:36 PM

wolfkitty,
Glad to help, I collect antique/vintage machines. I love my toys!

debbieumphress 10-18-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
wolfkitty,

It is early monday monring and I could use some round rock donuts nad coffee please. LOL. I actuallyu have a picture of me by the Round ROck in the water. It was a fun visit. HUGS

purplefiend 10-18-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress

Originally Posted by purplefiend
wolfkitty,

It is early monday monring and I could use some round rock donuts nad coffee please. LOL. I actuallyu have a picture of me by the Round ROck in the water. It was a fun visit. HUGS

I don't know if the Round Rock has much water near it right now, you should've seen it when we had 10" of rain this summer. I'll upload some Round Rock donuts to you.
They are tasty when warm.
Sharon W.

jljack 10-18-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Maybe you could try Craigslist. I just bought the same machine on
CL, a couple of weeks ago, for $50.00 and it only had one cam with it. I think it is a cool looking sewing machine! :mrgreen:

Ditto---I bought one for $40 plus shipping on eBay a few months ago. Haven't messed with it yet, and it needs cleaning and oiling to run. There are tons out there for around that price, so your price may be somewhat high. :| Sorry to say!

JUNEC 10-18-2010 06:07 PM

How many Cams dors it come with?
THanks
June