Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-machine-t130935.html)

JJane 06-16-2011 08:24 AM

I have a white featherweight machine and the orgininal box(case). It was delivered by a ----Shipping company and the box was damaged.. the outside box had a three corner hole. The case has three of the four mitered corners busted and the white featherweight machine has paint chipped off of it in three places on the wheel. Claim is being filed. How do you but a value on an anquite machine.. If I have it repainted I understand it brings down the value...I don't plan to resale it . My plan is to quilt on it forever... Any help would be get. fyi the shipping company has called me back and I need to put a dollar value on the damage...They will come pick-up the machine and return my purchase price but I don't want that. I want to keep the machine..

dltaylor 06-16-2011 08:26 AM

I would take to the a local repair shop and get a quick estimate on the damage. Since you want to keep the machine, just have them to pay you for the damages.

quilt1950 06-16-2011 09:02 AM

Is the case the standard black case? I know you can buy replacement black cases. I think I saw some for $65.00. I can't remember if that included a new tray.

Deborahlees 06-16-2011 09:06 AM

unfortatelly a local repair shop will not be able to handle the repair....I am assuming it is a vintage machine (as there are new featherweights) you need a master repair person who speciallies in vintage....they are extremely hard to find. your local dude could use something like 'white-out' to repair the wheel....and the case oh my....you really need to do a search and find...a deep one for the right person, they are out there you just will really really have to look.

JJane 06-16-2011 09:11 AM

I have been on line and think I can get a replacement case like mine. Lite green and white. The price I found was $125 plus shipping.

JJane 06-16-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
unfortatelly a local repair shop will not be able to handle the repair....I am assuming it is a vintage machine (as there are new featherweights) you need a master repair person who speciallies in vintage....they are extremely hard to find. your local dude could use something like 'white-out' to repair the wheel....and the case oh my....you really need to do a search and find...a deep one for the right person, they are out there you just will really really have to look.

No one in my area sales or repairs them, So you all are my knowledge

ckcowl 06-16-2011 09:23 AM

take it to someone who knows featherweights to have the damage assessed and an appraisal- they will be able to advise you on repairing it too.

Deborahlees 06-16-2011 09:25 AM

you know I believe I saw an ad on ebay for a guy that refinishes featherweights....go look....if nothing else ask him for an estimate to just do the repair....I think it is something like repairing an appliance where it is sorta like a porclein repair.....

JJane 06-16-2011 09:28 AM

He won't help without seeing it then he can give me a price. Don't have the time to ship it to him. Need an answer by tomorrow morning for the shipping company. Thanks for the idea

Deborahlees 06-16-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JJane
He won't help without seeing it then he can give me a price. Don't have the time to ship it to him. Need an answer by tomorrow morning for the shipping company. Thanks for the idea

can you take a picture and email pic to him....ask him please, a high estimate is better than nothing......