Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Free-Westinghouse Sewing Machine ALB - Zipper/Cording Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/free-westinghouse-sewing-machine-alb-zipper-cording-foot-t313708.html)

murphyj10 01-02-2021 07:27 AM

Free-Westinghouse Sewing Machine ALB - Zipper/Cording Foot

2 Attachment(s)
Hello - I'm trying to locate a zipper foot (or cording foot - what the manual calls it) for my Free-Westinghouse Sewing Machine Model ALB.

I inherited this machine from my grandmother and love it dearly but almost all accessories were lost over the years. Any suggestions about where to look for this foot beyond eBay would be appreciated!

Would other brands fit this brand/model?

I attached pictures of my current foot setup which is the only one I have. It makes for sewing zippers on close to impossible.

OurWorkbench 01-02-2021 03:16 PM

The manual I have for an ALB does list three zipper (cording) feet for left, right and double. However, it is listed in the last pages for Parts, but is not shown how to use it in the instruction part of the manual. This usually means that it did not come with the original attachment box with the machine. Sometimes one can find feet that didn't come with a machine in lots of sewing machine parts on ebay. One needs to know for sure what it actually looks like and be lucky. It may take a while. Another source would be etsy or someplace like https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Fre...orks/907286545

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

hans7fam 06-23-2023 04:45 PM

I also have a Free Westinghouse Model ALB sewing machine. Can't locate the suggested needles CC1221

What needles do you use and did you have to make adjustments on the machine. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you ~ Elizabeth

JoeJr 06-24-2023 04:51 AM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard. I believe you can also look for Boye 2 1/2 needles on ebay, etc. You might find them under that designation. They are not impossible to find, but not readily available either.

OurWorkbench 06-24-2023 05:15 AM

An additional note about the Boye 2 1/2, you might have them measure the needle that is in the tube. Sometimes other size needles get put in a tube. I have also read that 206x13 needles will work. There have been some that have ground down the 15x1 needles to work as indicated at https://myperfectstitch.blogspot.com...r-classic.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

JoeJr 06-24-2023 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a known Boye 2 1/2 side by side with a known 206x13. About a 2mm difference between the eyes and the needle points. I am not sure I would try this switch.

OurWorkbench 06-24-2023 08:51 AM

Thank you for the comparison. That was my thought, too. Evidently there have been some that have successfully used the 206x13. I'm not sure I would try the switch, either.

Actually I thought the eye to point on the 15x1 is different but the link to perfectstitch seemed to indicate that it did not matter. Also she got the hint from Bill Holman, which gives some credence to grinding the shank of a 15x1 working.

Janey

JoeJr 06-24-2023 10:01 AM

If I was in the market for 2 1/2 needles I would ask this ebay seller the end to end length, and if it matches a known 2 1/2 I would jump on this, best deal I saw on ebay:

Antique Sewing Machine Needles | eBay

(I am not the ebay seller in the link nor do I have any personal or professional connection with the seller)

hans7fam 06-24-2023 11:06 AM

Totally lost - Can someone explain 15/1 and 206/13???? I've cleaned my inherited Free Westinghouse Model ALB rotary machine, and just need needles. Thank you (anyone) for guidance. Although I joined this group years ago, life got busy and I am just getting it back on track.

JoeJr 06-24-2023 01:20 PM

Different machines take different needle sizes, size being defined as total length of the needle, distance from the non-point end of the needle to the eye, shank with a flat side, completely round shank. Over time many machines adopted the Singer standard for domestic machines, that being 15x1. The 206x13 needle, for example, was used by Singer in its 306 machine, as well as a few others.

Boye was an aftermarket distributor of needles, shuttles, and spindle bobbins. Boye items typically came in a round metal dispenser or a wooden cabinet. Boye had its own numbering system. For example, a 15x1, the Singer standard, is equivalent to a Boye #16 (older Boye dispensers have a different numbering system; I am referring to the "newer" Boye dispensers.

Your machine takes a CC1221, the Boye equivalent for this was a # 2 1/2, and I think Kenmore's equivalent was a No 49, but all the same size needle. This is why I suggested looking for Boye 2 1/2, along with CC1221, they're the same needle.

Within a specific size of a needle (as described above) you can also find different (sub)sizes (my terminology) which refers to the thickness, or heaviness of a needle. There are old and new designations. For example, if you were sewing denim you might want a size 16, a heavier needle, versus say a size 11 for sewing very lightweight fabric. The heavier needle is sturdier for heavier material, a lighter needle makes a smaller hole as well. I think the new designations for these sub sizes are multiples of 10: 80, 90, etc.

To make matters even more confusing, needles also have different style points, for how it pierces the fabric, chisel, ball point, etc. This is a factor also depending on the material in your work. You can look these up easily enough.

I hope this helps.