Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Funny coincidences--thrift store 401a! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/funny-coincidences-thrift-store-401a-t188992.html)

Janis 07-25-2012 09:03 PM

I have been reading old posts, so maybe none of you will read this, but I have to get it out anyway. I got a 1951 Singer 401 on Saturday. It was GIVEN to my husband for me. The woman had it in a yard sale earlier for $1.00 and no one bought it. If I had been there, I would have! It came with the zigzag foot and 2 ruffler attachments. I downloaded an instruction book for it. It runs great since I oiled it. Now to get attachments and cams for it.... I'm doing the happy dance!!!

jeaninmaine 07-26-2012 03:22 AM

I'd have bought it for a lot more than a dollar. I love my 401a and keep my eyes open for a cheap parts machine for it. You can do a lot of stitches without the cams.

deedum 07-26-2012 03:30 AM

That is wonderful. A real keeper!

Grannyh67 07-26-2012 08:59 PM

I have one just like that, it isd in great shape and I love it. I got it and a beautiful cabinet for $50.00. It belonged to the Grand Father of the young man I bought it from. He said His Grand Dad used it up until He was 92 years old. It sews great and has attachments also and the four cams I think. Yours is a beautiful machine, congrats on your find.:)

AuntieD 07-27-2012 05:23 PM

Great machine and price. And even better that you Mom will enjoy using it.

blueheavenfla 07-27-2012 08:58 PM

Whoever it was that said yield not to temptation couldn't have been talking to quilters with vintage machines on the brain.

miriam 07-28-2012 12:58 AM

I just got one last night - it wasn't cheap. Some one used 3 in 1 oil or something - everything is very gooey. Knobs don't turn and the hand wheel barely moves. The machine is in dire need of servicing.

Janis 07-29-2012 12:20 PM

Well, Miriam, you are just the one to fix it up. You've done it with others, and I know you can do this one a great service in making it right again. I have a question for you. I know that I need to use the Tri-Flo grease on the gears of my 401, but what about the motor? And if so, just how do I get to the motor to do that since it is internal? Mine runs a little louder than I'd like, but do they usually run louder than the 99's and the 221's? That is what I'm comparing it with. Is there somewhere that I can download a service manual for it free? I have downloaded the regular manual for it.

I did win the bid on e-bay for a case with some attachments and about 4 cams for it for my machine. My son is the bidder on e-bay, so he did the biding and I'll do the paying for it. It should come in the next couple of days, I think. This is the first time I've really participated in final biding on e-bay, and now I know what others mean when they say 'I won it on e-bay!' The final biding thing can be nerve racking, especially to a first timer standing by!

chips88 07-29-2012 12:39 PM

nice find. way to go for a dollar..:thumbup:

miriam 07-29-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5403542)
Well, Miriam, you are just the one to fix it up. You've done it with others, and I know you can do this one a great service in making it right again. I have a question for you. I know that I need to use the Tri-Flo grease on the gears of my 401, but what about the motor? And if so, just how do I get to the motor to do that since it is internal? Mine runs a little louder than I'd like, but do they usually run louder than the 99's and the 221's? That is what I'm comparing it with. Is there somewhere that I can download a service manual for it free? I have downloaded the regular manual for it.

I did win the bid on e-bay for a case with some attachments and about 4 cams for it for my machine. My son is the bidder on e-bay, so he did the biding and I'll do the paying for it. It should come in the next couple of days, I think. This is the first time I've really participated in final biding on e-bay, and now I know what others mean when they say 'I won it on e-bay!' The final biding thing can be nerve racking, especially to a first timer standing by!

Here is a service manual. You have to scroll down past the Singer 319 to it though. http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf